Content is stored on the cloud and is always there within the reach of the user whenever it is needed through the improved efficiency of retrieving, storing and processing files on macOS Sierra. The new system will automatically store up those files that you do not use often in the cloud to free up storage space with macOS Sierra. Optimized versions of your pictures and other frequently used files will stay on your Mac while all other files are saved and can be retrieved by downloading them from the cloud. See how you can do this below.
You can view a summary of your storage pattern on your Mac by clicking on About This Mac from the Apple menu. An overview of your used and free space will be displayed in the storage section.
Click on the Manage button in the top right corner to view options to free up storage space with macOS Sierra. If you already have some options enabled, you will see fewer options available in this window.
1. Store in iCloud: after selecting the Store in iCloud option, you will have the option to choose between "Files from Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drive" and "Photos and Videos in iCloud Photo Library".
2. Optimize storage: here you can choose from the options below after clicking on it;
3. Empty trash automatically: selecting this option will mean that you have set your Mac to automatically delete all files that are sent to trash and have stayed there for a 30-day period. Any files in trash after 30 days will be automatically deleted to free up storage space with macOS Sierra.
4. Reduce clutter: this option will help you point out all the large files that you might not be needing any longer. When you click on Review Files, you can select from the options in the side bar to search your compartments like Documents and Applications. You can delete some files directly from these categories with your pointer hovering over them. Select the X key to delete them from your Mac for good. If you purchased them from iTunes, Apple store or iBooks store, you can download them again later. For categories with compartments you can see the total size of the file from the side. You can open up the file to see the different compartments and their sizes and choose what to delete from there. These will also be permanently deleted.
Other ways in which macOS Sierra saves space automatically
5. Where to find settings for each feature
6. Learn more
In the About Mac pop-up menu, purgeable content will show in the Storage section if Optimize Mac storage is turned on. Files considered purgeable are those Mac can remove to make space but they can all be downloaded again.
During the process of freeing up space on your Mac, you might delete or lose a file by accident and want it back in the future. You can do this with a Mac Hard Drive data recovery software. Recoverit for Mac is a good option for this. You can recover data from Mac hard drive that has been lost, deleted or formatted.
Due to macOS High Sierra (macOS 10.13) requirement, Mac users are not allowed an access to the built-in system drive from any apps. Therefore, if you need to restore lost data from the system disk under macOS 10.13, please "disable System Integrity Protection" first.
How to disable "System Integrity protection"? Please follow the steps below.
Step 1Reboot the Mac and hold down"Command + R" keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode.
Step 2When the "OS X Utilities" screen appears, pull down the "Utilities" menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose "Terminal".
Step 3In the "Terminal" window, type in "csrutil disable" and press "Enter" then restrart your Mac.
What can you do when accidentally deleted data and emptied the trash on your Mavericks Mac? Don't worry. This guide shows you a way to solve it in 3 steps. ...
Free download Recoverit Video Recovery for Mac to recover deleted or lost video files on Mac easily and effectively. ...
When you data lost or deleted from Mac hard drive, you can get Recoverit for Mac to help you to recover data from Mac hard drive. ...