First of all, what is Raster and What is Vector?
These are the two main categories of images we have.
So, what is a Raster Image? A raster image, also called a Bitmap, is an image made of several arrays of dots and pixels. These dots and pixels occupy specific areas in the Image. So once you try to stretch a Raster image, the Image becomes blurry because these dots have been extended beyond areas they should cover. Examples of Raster images are JPEG, TIF, PNG, GIF, etc.
So, what is a vector image? A vector image is a graphic image made from mathematical lines and Curves to form different shapes. It can be stretched to any resolution without becoming blurry, which is an advantage over Raster images.
So, What is JPEG?
Joint Photographic Expert Group (JPEG) is the most widely used image compression format in the world due to its features. Its size is about 5 times smaller than a Raw picture of the same quality. Its quality can be adjusted. When image files are being processed to JPEG, there is little or no loss in the image quality, which is one of the things that made it the best! However, even while it's the set image format, it can't be used for certain purposes. It is mainly graphics-related purposes, designing the logo, graphics designing, and all because it is a Raster image file.
On the other hand, EPS can be used for graphics purposes because it is a vector file. It can be stretched and reduced without distortion.
In this article, I'll be taking you through the different ways you can convert your JPEG (Raster) format image to EPS (Vector)
Way 1. Convert JPEG format to EPS format on Ink
Inks cape is an offline converter that is available for free Download. It doesn't waste time. It also has an easy-to-understand interface. It runs only on Windows. It Doesn't support macOS for now.
Follow the guide below to convert your JPEG image to EPS format
- Download and install Inkscape on your PC
- Run the app.
- Import your JPEG file.
How to import
- Click on 'File' > 'Open'
- Browse the location of the JPEG file to be converted
- Click on it once and open
- Click 'OK' on the next pop-up
- The JPEG will be opened on Inkscape.
- Click on the image.
- Click on 'path' at the top, select 'trace bitmap.'
- Click 'OK' on the next pop-up. A preview of the traced image will be shown. Click 'OK' again.
- Next, go to 'File' at the top left corner, select 'save as'
- On the same window, under 'save as type,' choose Encapsulated PostScript - Eps
- Click Save.
- On the next pop-up, select the 'convert text to path' box and click 'OK.'
Your EPS file has been saved! Have you seen how easy it is?!
Way 2. Use Convertio to change your JPEG format image to EPS
Convertio is an online image converter. It can convert a wide range of image formats. It is also free and doesn't take time. You can also convert more than one image at a time (supports bulk). Since it's online, it can work on both macOS and Windows.
How do I convert my JPEG image to EPS format on Convertio? I've helped you list out the few steps to go about doing that; read on!
- Go to convertio.io/jpg-eps/
- On the landing page
- Click on 'Choose file.'
- Browse the location of the JPEG image to be converted
- Click on it and open it.
- You can also drag the image to the site.
- Note: File size limit is 100Mb
- If you're converting more than one, click 'add more files.'
- Wait while the site completes your request.
- When the uploading and conversion process did, another page will be loaded to download your converted images.
- Click 'download,' select the Destination of your converted image(s)
You have successfully converted your Image from JPEG to EPS format. So easy!
Way 3. Convert JPEG to EPS format on Image. online-convert
Here is yet another free site to convert your image from one format to another.
Conversion from JPEG format to EPS can be done on the Image. Online-convert by doing the following.
- Go to image.online-convert.com/convert-to-eps
- Click on 'choose files.'
- go to the location of the JPEG file you want to convert
- Click on it once and open it.
- You can as well drag the JPEG image to the page.
- You can also upload images from Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Next, click on 'start conversion.'
- Wait for the site to process your request
- Once the conversion is complete, you will be taken to the page to download your converted Eps file.
- You can also download it as a zip file, normal Download, or even upload it directly to the cloud.
Way 4. Convert JPEG to EPS on cloud convert
- Go to cloudconvert.com/jpg-to-eps
- Upload your JPEG image.
How to upload
- On the pop-up window, browse the location of your file.
- Click on it once and click open.
- To open the JPEG file from another location (Google Drive, Dropbox, one drive, etc.), click the arrow beside 'select file' to list these locations.
Once the image has been uploaded
- Click on 'convert' to begin the uploading and conversion processes.
- Wait while it uploads and processes your Image.
- When the processing is finished, click Download, select the Destination of the file and save!
Way 5. Convert your JPEG image to EPS on GIMP
GIMP is an offline image editor. It is an app that has different image editing features. It can be used for the conversion of image formats as well. I'll be showing you how to convert your JPEG image to EPS on GIMP.
- Download and install the app
- Run it.
- Go to 'File' > 'New', click 'OK'
- A layer will be opened where you will import your JPEG image.
- Next, Import your JPEG image.
How to import on GIMP
- Go to 'File' > Open
- On the following window, browse the location of your JPEG image and double click on it
A preview will be shown on the layer you created. Importing has been completed
Now, to convert
- Go to 'File' again > 'Export as'
- On the 'Export as' window, edit the name.
- Backspace 'jpg' and replace it with 'eps'
- Select the Destination of the file
- Click export
- 'Export image as PostScript' window will pop-up
- Edit the width, height, and unit if you wish to.
- Click Export!
Your EPS file has been saved to the Destination selected.
Way 6. Convert a JPEG image to EPS on Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat is a very common app. Virtually everyone has it on their phones or PC. It is known by many as a PDF reader. However, it can be used to convert image images also. How? I'll be showing how to convert JPEG images to EPS format on Adobe Acrobat. Follow me!
- Download and install the Adobe Acrobat app
- Right-click on the image > 'Open with' > 'Adobe Acrobat'
- Next, click on the 'Print' icon at the top
- Go to 'properties' > 'adobe PDF page size'
- Click the arrow beside 'letter' select '3 X 3'
- Click 'OK'
- Change the printer to 'Adobe PDF'
- Click on 'Print'
- You will be asked where to save the file
- select the Destination and save.
We are not done yet!
- Open the Adobe Acrobat document you just saved
- Go to 'File' > 'Save as other' > 'More option' > 'Encapsulated PostScript
- On the following window, rename the file if you wish and save it!
Your JPEG image has been converted to EPS!
Way 7. Convert JPEG to EPS on Adobe Illustrator
Adobe illustrator is another app from adobe. It has a lot of image editing features. It can as well convert JPEG to EPS. Below is how to do this
- Download and install the app
- Open the app
- Import your JPEG image
How to import
- Once the app is opened, click on 'open.'
- Go to the location of the JPEG image to be converted
- Click on it once and click 'Open.'
This image will be displayed on Adobe illustrator
- Next, click on the Image
- Go to 'window' at the top and select 'image trace.'
- On the following pop-up, under 'preset,' select 'High Fidelity Photo.'
- Next, on the right pane, click on 'Expand.'
- Next, right-click on the page and select 'ungroup.'
Your Image has been converted to EPS format!
- Next, click 'file' > 'Save' to save your changes!
Dear readers, I hope I've been able to impart some knowledge to you about what Raster and vector images are and how from JPEG (Raster)format to EPS (Vector). Expect more interesting topics on this site; thanks for reading! Stay tuned for more!