QNAP is known for offering one-of-its-kind Network Attached Storage (NAS) solutions. Currently, the company is working on providing you with an unmatchable experience when using NAS devices. For this, they have introduced a big, game-changer update - QNAP QTS 5.0. Haven’t you heard of this before? Don’t worry! This article presents a comprehensive discussion of what QTS 5.0 is about and what it has to offer.
Part 1. What is QTS 5.0 in QNAP NAS?
The beta version of QNAP QTS 5.0 was introduced in June 2021. This update aimed to protect your digital assets from unwanted circumstances. It is smooth, fast, and super easy to use. The top things it brings to the table are listed below.
- The use of advanced security measures for protecting your digital assets.
- It features drive failure protection and solidifies image recognition with AI/ML-based approaches.
- Streamlines your applications by improving your system’s performance.
|Developed By||QNAP ® Systems, Inc.|
|Release Date||October 4, 2021|
|Personal/Business File Transfer||Available|
|Support for exFAT||Available for free|
Key Features of QNAP QTS 5.0
It comes with a variety of superb features you can ever think of. Let’s get into the detailed specifics to understand how this technology can help you protect your digital assets and what else it can offer.
1. Improved Security
With QNAP QTS 5.0, you get SSH keys for securing NAS access. In addition, it offers support for TLS 1.3, which updates QTS and applications automatically.
2. Optimized User Interface
For any tool, the user interface always plays a crucial role because it creates a first impression on every user. As far as QTS QNAP 5.0 is concerned, it comes with an elegant design, smooth navigation, and an easy-to-use interface, which provides you with an unforgettable experience.
Moreover, it offers you a search bar to find applications you need and simplifies the installation process if you are doing it for the first time.
3. WireGuard VPN Support
A reliable and lightweight WireGuard VPN is integrated with QVPN 3.0 to provide you with a fantastic interface and secure connectivity.
4. Faster Image Recognition
Now, you can perform faster object and facial recognition with QuMagie equipped with Edge TPU. It is an AI-powered technology introduced to QNAP to achieve quick and enhanced image recognition. QVR Face features improved performance for real-time video capturing.
5. Secure File Transfer
It is another potential feature associated with QTS 5.0. When performing as an FTP server, QNAP NAS offers QoS bandwidth control, setting speed limitations for groups and individual users, and encrypted TLS/SSL. The support for FTP clients is also available in this update.
6. Enhanced NVMe SSD Cache Performance
The utilization and performance of NVMe SSD get improved with the new kernel. If you offload memory resources, you can utilize SSD storage more effectively and efficiently when cache acceleration is activated.
7. DA Drive Analyzer
With this amazing feature, you can determine the expected lives of drives, utilizing the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI). It assists you well in replacing your drives on time and avoids data loss and unexpected downtime.
8. Support for TeamViewer
If you install the QNAP NAS TeamViewer app, you will be able to connect and manage multiple QNAP NAS devices remotely from your Windows computer. You don’t need to worry about complex VPN settings because QNAP QTS 5.0 offers a secure and simple solution.
9. exFAT Support for Free
The exFAT support is only available for free for x86-based NAS devices. It is optimized for flash storage, e.g., USB drives and SD cards, and offers support for files of up to 16EB. Hence, large media file sharing and transfer get accelerated.
A number of improvements have been made in QTS 5.0. Let’s go through them one by one.
- The introduction of secure TLS 1.3 HTTPS connection
- QuFTP service support
- The Desktop Notice Board was introduced to receive notifications for different announcements and events.
- An option to disable or enable strong cipher suites
- Added ability to certify the SSL certificate with a customized root certificate.
- Boosted SSD cache design was introduced to improve the overall storage performance.
- You can now preview the thumbnails of your PDF files with File Station.
- It comes with a disabled (by default) UPnP Discovery Service to increase your device’s security.
- A new support for the Content Security Policy HTTP header is also added.
- DDNS service is now supported by Network and Virtual Switch.
- Without specifying any port, you can now redirect to the NAS login screen.
- You can reset the default account password by holding the reset button for 3 seconds. QNAP QTS 5.0 will inform the owner about this activity and will ask to improve the security by creating a new admin account.
- Once you install, the default admin account gets disabled. You can create a new administrator account with QTS Smart Installation Guide.
- QTS displays a message to remind you to disable the default admin account and create another as an administrator.
- Mustang User Driver is highly compatible with QTS 5.0.0.
- With QuLog Center, you can see the computer names in Online Users and System Access Log.
- The support for showing online users’ total time of connection is also introduced in QTS 5.0.
- The Advanced Search option in QuLog Center is upgraded.
- You will not get QTS with a pre-installed Qsync Central. However, you can find it on the App Center.
- You can now manually set the maximum number of failed login attempts and the time interval manually. It helps you enhance the security of your digital assets.
- You will read and write permissions for default shared folders if you are in the administrator group.
Below is a list of the changes introduced in QNAP QTS 5.0.
- USB printer support is no longer available.
- The SSD Profiling Tool does not come with pre-installation in QTS.
- Removed support for NVR Storage Expansion.
- The applications that don’t meet the minimum version requirements and that aren’t updated are disabled automatically in QTS 5.0. It improves the overall system security.
- QTS does not come with a built-in Qboost app. However, the App Center will help you find it.
- QVR Pro Client - the HDMI output - is no longer supported by HybridDesk Station.
Pros and Cons
The benefits and cons of QTS NAS are as follows.
Boosted NVMe SSD cache performance
Quick, easy, and smooth to use
Elegant user interface
Free support for exFAT
Ability to manage your QNAP NAS centrally
Supports business and personal file transfer
Some users complain about not being able to configure storage space, alerts, and cameras in the desktop client application when using QVR Pro
According to some users, HD Station is a bit ignored
Upgraded GUI design is not uniform for all apps
Part 2. How to Install QTS OS on Your QNAP NAS?
Are you getting attracted to QNAP QTS 5.0 after reading through its stunning features? Planning to give this technology a try but don’t know how to install it? Here’s how you can get the job done.
When installing QTS 5.0, it is always better to use a NAS enclosure you don’t use in a live environment. It helps you test and verify its performance. Let’s move forward.
Step 1: Open the official website of QNAP Systems, Inc.
Step 2: Use the drop-down menu to choose the model, bays, and product type.
Step 3: It is time to choose “Operating System.”
Step 4: Now, scroll down and select the downloaded link.
Step 5: Then, enter your credentials to log into a QTS NAS.
Step 6: Now, navigate to the “Control Panel” and select “Firmware Update.”
Step 7: Tap on “Browse” and choose the downloaded QTS 5.0 file.
As soon as you carefully follow the above-listed steps, your NAS will reboot after successful installation.
Part 3. How to Access QNAP QTS?
If you are looking forward to accessing the QTS NAS efficiently, don’t forget to read through this section. All you need is to follow the steps listed below.
Step 1: Make sure your system and NAS are connected to the same network.
Step 2: Now, launch a web browser on your system.
Step 3: Click the address bar and enter the IP address of your NAS. You will now see a QTS login screen.
Step 4: Log into QTS with an HTTPS connection, choose “Secure login,” and tap on “OK.”
Step 5: Now, specify your credentials (username and password).
Step 6: It is time to hit the “Login” button, and you will see the QTS desktop.
Part 4. How to Recover Data from QTS 5.0 in QNAP NAS?
Have you lost some sensitive data from QNAP QTS 5.0? Worried about getting it back securely? Unaware of the right tool to benefit from in this regard? Don’t be concerned! Wondershare Recoverit will swim your worries away for sure.
Are you wondering why you should download Recoverit and prefer this software over many others? Well, a number of superb features justify its credibility. First of all, Recoverit is designed with a more than 95% data recovery rate. In addition, it performs a completely secure and efficient recovery of your deleted or lost data. Furthermore, it is available in 15 different languages and 160+ countries.
Another factor that plays a vital role in convincing millions of people to try Recoverit is its support for 1000+ file formats, 2000+ storage media devices, and 500+ recovery scenarios. Let’s look at how you can use this utility to recover your data from QTS 5.0 in your QNAP NAS.
Video Tutorial on How to Recover Files from NAS Server?
Download Wondershare Recoverit and follow the steps below to get your lost data back in a few minutes.
Step 1: Open the tool and go to “NAS and Linux Recovery.”
Step 2: Now, tap on the “NAS Recovery” button.
Step 3: Now, you will see a couple of NAS devices on your screen. Choose the one that has the data you lost earlier.
Step 4: It is time to enter the requested information and then hit the “Connect” button. Doing this will help you connect your NAS device wirelessly.
Step 5: Wait for the remote connection to establish. Once done, Recoverit will start scanning for the lost data automatically, and you will be able to monitor the scanning progress. Interestingly, you can stop the scan process at any time you want.
Step 6: Don’t forget to tap on “Preview” before you move toward recovering your deleted or lost files from QTS 5.0. Once you are satisfied with what you have previewed, you can hit “Recover.”
Step 7: Recoverit will need a specific path on your system to save the recovered data. When selecting a path, always make sure that the new path is different from the previous one (where your data or files were deleted or lost). You will get your lost stuff back when you choose the desired path.
This is how, within 7 super simple steps, you can restore or recover your data from QTS 5.0 in your QNAP NAS.
QNAP QTS 5.0 is an outstanding tool that not only protects your digital assets pretty well but also improves the overall system performance and enhances intelligence at the same time. Apart from that, a number of super amazing features add more colors to its credibility. For further details, don’t forget to read the discussion presented above, as it covers everything (associated with QTS 5.0) you are looking for.
Don’t worry if you have lost your important files from QNAP 5.0, as Recoverit NAS data recovery will surely assist you in recovering your lost data files. The recovery remains completely secure and time may vary depending on the size of the data you wish to get back on your system. Recoverit has more than 50 million happy users across the world. Join the happy family and see miracles happen.