USB Flash Drives are the modern way of storing endless amount of files and documents in a very small object. Almost anyone who owns a PC own a flash drive. It’s an excellent way to protect your files and it’s very compact making it easy for anyone to transfer and transport files. They also come in different designs, sizes and forms. You can store almost anything in it such as Office documents, movies, music, games, photos, videos, etc. However, it is not a fail proof device. As with any piece of hardware, you’re likely to come across a problem with it on occasion. A common problem with USB flash drives encountered by users is the ‘This device can perform faster’ error message.
This error might be in the message: ‘This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port.’ This simply tells users to connect the USB flash drive to its correct port on the laptop. But sometimes this doesn’t solve the problem. If this is the case, it’s either your computer’s port is broken or the PC’s drivers are corrupted or broken, too.
In the following paragraphs, we’ll show you how to solve the ‘This device can perform faster’ problem.
If you ever come across this error, it would be best to try plugging into another USB port. If you have a flash drive that’s USB 3.0, it’s better to plug it in to a USB 3.0 port. And if you have a flash drive that’s 2.0, plug it in to a USB 2.0 port. You may also want to use a cable and see if it will work with your USB flash drive. On the contrary, you can also try plugging in your 2.0 USB flash drive into a 3.0 and also the other way around.
Some users don’t have any idea what a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 is. Many are not aware what the differences are and how they work. Most would not know how to distinguish a 3.0 from a 2.0. First, check your USB flash drive if it’s using 2.0 or 3.0 technology. Check the plug and see if the color of the port insert is blue or more specifically Pantone 300C. Sometimes, the port would have a Superspeed logo embedded on it. Meanwhile, if the USB is only in black, it’s probably a 2.0.
You should also check your computer if the ports support USB 3.0. You may see this in the Device Manager.
1. Press Windows + R to launch Run or simply type it in the Search bar.
2. When the Run dialog box launches, type in devmgmt.msc then press Enter.
3. Look for Universal Serial Bus controllers and view this folder. Look for the name of the USB port.
4. If the name of the part is USB 3.0, it indicates that your computer supports USB 3.0. This would usually appear as USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
5. However, if the names of the port are Universal Host or Enhanced Host, it means that the port is USB 2.0 (2.0 since you have 2 ports available).
6. Lastly, if the name of the port is only Universal Host, your computer only has USB 1.1 port.
Before performing any of these steps, make sure that your USB flash drive is actually in working condition. You may check this by plugging it into another laptop or computer and see if it could be read by that device. If other computers are able to read the flash drive, you’re sure that the problem lies within the computer and not the flash drive itself.
1. Download the installer for Driver Booster. You can find it in their website.
2. Install Driver Booster. Follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
3. Open Driver Booster. The dashboard will launch. In the middle of the screen, you’ll see a Scan button. Click on this to perform a scan on faulty drivers you have in your computer.
4. After the scan, Driver Booster will show you a list of outdated drivers and game components. Locate Universal Serial Bus controllers then click on the Update button.
USB flash drives are indeed indispensable storage devices among many PC users nowadays. A lot of people highly depend on them for transporting and saving files. It allows us to copy, move, add and delete files and documents even without the use of internet. So it’s definitely bothersome coming across errors with these devices. If you experience ‘This device can perform faster’ error with your own device, either of the methods above will help fix it.