I started up my computer one afternoon and a black screen appeared with the message "BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot." I don't have Windows Vista installation disc.
My Windows computer information is below:
- Toshiba Satellite A305-S6857
- Windows Vista 64-bit
- Intel Dual-Core Processor
Is there anything I can do besides finding a repair shop? Thank you - Lucas May from Chicago
Computers are extremely private and filled with personal documents. So it is better to solve problems by ourselves rather than send them to a shop to avoid privacy exposure. BootMGR is a bootloader that allows multiple operating systems to be booted from the same computer. So, missing BootMGR or corrupt BootMGR files can affect the startup of the computer. If you receive the error message and Windows fails to start, these issues are mostly caused by the corrupt bootMGR image. To fix the "BootMGR image is corrupt" error, you need to find your Windows installation disc and follow the instructions below. In this article, we will discuss what to do when your bootMGR image corrupt. There are two essential solutions you can consider: fix the corrupt bootMGR image with Windows installation disc or with bootable CD/USB.
Part 1: Fix the BootMGR Image corrupt Problem with Your Windows installation disc
- Insert the Windows Vista (or Windows 7, if you are using that version) installation disc and restart your computer.
- Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
- Click "Repair your computer".
Note: If you meet some failure issues while you insert system disk, check our article to find how to fix disk boot failure. If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
Part 2: Fix BootMGR Image corrupt Problem with a Windows Installation Disc
If Windows fails to start and you see the corrupted BootMGR image error, the first thing you should do is to check whether your PC is infected. If nothing harmful is found, it’s time to look for the system installation disc. Follow the instructions below:
- Insert the Windows installation disc to your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- Select your preferred language settings and then click Next.
- At the lower left corner, you will see options. Select Repair Your Computer.
- Select the operating system that’s currently installed on your computer.
- From the list of recovery options, select Startup Repair.
- Wait while Startup Repair scans and repairs the issues.
Part 3: Recover Data from Unbootable Computer When the Above Solutions Fails
The BootMGR Image corrupt problem will cause the failure of booting the system. In most cases, you can fix the issue with the solutions to the above mentioned. However, what if the above methods fail to fix the issue? How can we recover the data from the unbootable system? Don't worry, you can resort to Recoverit Data Recovery. It helps you to create a bootable media with simple steps. Then you can recover all your data with the bootable media easily.
- Recover lost or deleted files, photos, audio, music, emails from any storage device effectively, safely and completely.
- Supports data recovery from recycle bin, hard drive, memory card, flash drive, digital camera, and camcorders.
- Supports to recover data for sudden deletion, formatting, hard drive corruption, virus attack, system crash under different situations.
- Open Recoverit, and then proceed to choose a data recovery mode. If your Windows 10 is unable to boot, click the option "Recover from crash computer". Tap the "Start" button to continue.
- Choose one of the modes to create a bootable drive. Pick a CD/DVD bootable drive or USB to create a bootable drive. Select the "Create" tab to proceed.
- Afterward a pop up will request that you format the USB drive and ensure that you back up vital information. Tap the "Format" button to continue.
- Don't attempt to remove the USB flash drive as soon as it starts creating a bootable drive. The next steps will be displayed on your screen. Alternatively, you can select an option to see the whole guide before you begin.
- Be patient because the process of creating a bootable drive will take some time. Once the bootable USB flash drive has been completed, 3 steps of how to recover data will pop up.
- You must adjust your computer boot sequence before you proceed to with the data recovery process from your unbootable Windows 10. Similarly, you will have to set to boot your data recovery from the bootable media you just created.
Reboot your PC and insert the BIOS while taping the "F12" key. Note that the BIOS entry key will not be the same with multiple systems. Find out other vital information about "How to set the computer to boot from USB drive"
- Recoverit software will automatically start working as soon as you are done booting from the bootable drive. At this point, you have the option of recovering your lost data from Windows 10 or duplicate your data from the hard disk.
The process of recovering data from unbootable Windows 10 has been solved; therefore you don't need to bother anymore. Now you can resolve issues that concern lost data on Windows 10 with our assistance.
Computer Data Recovery
- Windows PE
- System problems
- PC Errors