Widely used and appreciated by the majority of people worldwide, Google Chrome can be found on almost every Android or non-Android device. On many devices, Google Chrome is a default app and pre-installed on them.
Delete Google Chrome Browser
Despite being a decent web browser, many times you may want to remove Google Chrome from your device. Possible reasons for doing so may include:
Regardless of the reason, you may want to remove Google Chrome from any of the following devices:
A step-by-step guide on how to remove Google Chrome from each of the mentioned devices is given below:
a. Log on to your Windows computer with an account holding admin rights.
b. Go to Control Panel.
c. From the top-right corner of the Control Panel window, ensure that View by is set to Category.
d. From under the Programs category, click Uninstall a program.
e. On the Uninstall or change a program page from the displayed list of installed programs, click to select Google Chrome.
f. From the border at the top of the list, click Uninstall.
g. On the Uninstall Google Chrome confirmation box, check the Also delete your browsing data checkbox. (Optional)
h. Click Uninstall to remove Google Chrome from your Windows PC.
a. Log on to your Mac computer with an account that has admin rights.
b. Open the Applications folder. (Default location where Google Chrome is installed.)
c. Once inside the Applications folder, click and drag Google Chrome in the Trash.
d. Provide your consent to any confirmation message that appears.
Note: Because both Chrome and Android are products from Google, in most Android devices you cannot uninstall Google Chrome but you can disable it instead. If you have updated your Google Chrome, along with DISABLE, you will also see the UNINSTALL UPDATES button.
a. Turn on your Android device.
b. Open the Apps drawer.
c. From the displayed icons, tap Settings.
d. Once on the Settings interface, tap the Application manager.
Note: Depending on the device, the term Application manager is used interchangeably with Apps, Apps Manager, or Applications.
e. From the displayed list of installed apps, tap Chrome.
f. On the App info interface, tap DISABLE and follow the instructions from there to remove Google Chrome from your Android device.
a. Turn on your iOS device. (iPhone 4S is used for demonstration.)
b. On the Home screen locate Chrome.
c. Once found, tap and hold the Chrome icon for a few seconds.
d. When all the icons start shaking, tap the X sign within a gray box at the top-left corner of the Chrome icon to remove the app from the device.
Deleting add-ons, a.k.a., extensions from Google Chrome is more or less identical on all platforms. For simplicity, a Windows PC is used here to demonstrate.
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click the Menu button (button with three horizontal lines) from the top-right corner of the interface.
3. From the displayed menu, click Settings.
4. Once on the Settings window, from the left pane, click to select Extensions.
5. From the Extensions page in the right, click the Trash icon representing the extension that you want to remove.
Note: Alternatively you can uncheck the Enabled checkbox for the extension to temporarily disable it and leave it to remain installed for future use.
6. Once done, close and re-launch Google Chrome for the changes to take place.
To delete browsing history and cookies from the PC version of Google Chrome:
1. Open Google Chrome on your Mac or Windows computer.
2. Click the Menu button from the top-right corner of the interface.
3. Go to Settings from the displayed menu.
4. From the bottom of the Settings page, click Show advanced settings.
5. Under the Privacy section, click Clear browsing data.
6. In the Clear browsing data box, ensure that the Browsing history and Cookies and other site and plug-in data checkboxes are checked.
7. Finally, click the Clear browsing data button from the bottom.
To delete Google Chrome browsing history from Android:
1. Turn on your Android device.
2. Open the Apps drawer.
3. Go to Settings > Application manager. (As described above.)
4. From the list of installed apps, tap Chrome.
5. On the App info interface, tap CLEAR DATA from the bottom.
To delete Google Chrome browsing data from iOS:
1. Turn on your iOS device.
2. From the Home screen, locate and open Chrome.
3. From the opened interface, tap the Menu button (button with three vertical dots) from the top.
4. From the displayed menu, tap Settings.
5. Once on the Settings window, tap Privacy.
6. On the Privacy interface, tap the Clear All option.
7. From the box that pops up, tap Clear All to clear the browsing history, cache, and cookies from Google Chrome.
Note: Alternatively you can also tap the Clear Browsing History, Clear Cache, and Clear Cookies, Site Data options individually to clear the information from the browser.