For many users working on complicated software programs, tampering with the settings of their Mac can get tedious. There are instances after the installation or during the working of an application that the device begins to experience some trouble. While backing up of data beforehand is always advisable, it is not always easy to restore the Operating System. With a few applications, chances are that you might end up tampering the core settings that include the hardware and software. Therefore, users tend to opt for factory settings that can get them back to square one without having to face much hassle. In this article, we are going to distance various aspects about soliutions: How to restore Mac to factory settings.
The basic reason to restore Mac to factory settings is that over a long period of usage, the Mac gets too many data files and software junk files accumulated. While some of the files are use consistently, there are many files that are rarely or never used. However, the major issues lie in the space that is occupied by these files. This makes the system messy, slow, and often causes other applications to stop working.
When you restore Mac to factory settings, the following events occur:
Users, after restoring their Mac to factory settings, are free to install the software programs that they wish to use. However, there is also a need to take the data backup before restoration Mac to its factory settings.
In the following section, we will discuss the procedure to backup your critical data before you move on to restore your Mac to factory settings.
In the following steps, we will take the backup by using Time Machine and an external hard drive.
1) One needs to have an external hard drive with sufficient storage capacity. Ideally, choose a hard drive with storage twice that of your Mac. We go for this precaution knowing how fast the space gets filled up.
2) The external hard drive must be connected to the Mac. This is usually done through a USB cable, Firewire, or eSATA.
3) It is important to format your external hard drive as that would ensure that the files are properly placed for a Mac in case of retrieval in the future.
4) The next step involves launching the Time Machine application. Fortunately, this comes with the Mac OS X. For the ones who can’t find it, it can be accessed through System Preferences.
5) Please designate your external hard drive as the Backup Disk for your Mac Data when there is a prompt through a dialog box.
6) You then have to turn the Time Machine On. The backup utility will automatically start backing up your Mac. You will need to allot, maybe, an overnight for the backup to take place. This usually depends on the amount of data you carry in your Mac.
7) One can also schedule frequent backups with the Time Machine. Conventionally, the Time Machine would backup your data hourly, unless you have made other customizations. Time Machine helps create incremental backups of the current state of the data stored on your Mac and this helps the user to go back in time and get back any missing file or data.
There are a number of ways through which you can restore your Mac to its Factory settings. In the following section, we shall first discuss restoring your Mac from Recovery. This is the simplest method to restore your Mac to its factory settings.
1) Power on your Mac.
2) As you hear the startup sound, hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard.
3) Once the Apple logo appears on your screen, you can release the keys.
4) You can either connect your Mac to the internet using an Ethernet cable, or, when prompted, select the specific WiFi Network.
5) Once the recovery menu appears on your screen, you can opt for the option of installing OS X.
6) You are now required to follow the onscreen prompts and select your destination disk and complete the installation for OS X.
Through these steps, you can reinstall the latest version of OS X that you had previously been using on your Mac. For the ones who are looking to restore Mac to its factory settings using the same version of OS X, they must hold Command-Option-R at startup instead as this starts the Mac from Internet Recovery.
Now, the next issue that we all face is to restore our data after we have successfully manager to restore our Mac systems. While users might be confused between quite a few third-party applications that promise to achieve this functionality, there are not many that can get the job done. Therefore, we take this section to discuss Recoverit Data Recovery specially designed for the Mac Users.
Available for download from the company’s website, this data manager can prove to be quite helpful if you are looking to restore your data the easy way. For the ones looking for tedious and complicated methods, we recommend some other Mac data recovery software.
Here are the steps to help you restore your data with Recoverit Data Recovery for Mac:
Step 1 Launch Recoverit Data Recovery for Mac, go to select a hard disk drive where your data lost. Click "Start" button to process.
Step 2 Recoverit data recovery will start to scan your hard disk drive, it will take more time to search your lost data from computer.
Step 3 After deep scan, you can preview the recovered file and click "Recover" button to save another safe storage device.
Restoring your Mac to its factory settings is not difficult. What matters is how you manage your data in the entire process. Using Time Machine, you can take a backup, but if you use your data before that due to application bugs, errors, and unforeseen shutdowns, you have the luxury of Recoverit Data Recovery for your device.
Due to MacOS High Sierra (MacOS 10.13) requirement, Mac users are not allowed an access to the built-in system drive from any apps. Therefore, if you need to restore lost data from the system disk under MacOS 10.13, please "disable System Integrity Protection" first.
How to disable "System Integrity protection"? Please follow the steps below.
Step 1Reboot the Mac and hold down"Command + R" keys simultaneously after you hear the startup chime, this will boot OS X into Recovery Mode.
Step 2When the "OS X Utilities" screen appears, pull down the "Utilities" menu at the top of the screen instead, and choose "Terminal".
Step 3In the "Terminal" window, type in "csrutil disable" and press "Enter" then restart your Mac.
Learn how to recover Time Machine backups from APFS disk by following this comprehensive guide. A stepwise tutorial is provided to recover files from APFS disk. ...
Once PDF files were lost from your Mac, you can read this PDF recovery Mac guide and use Recoverit for Mac to recover PDF on Mac with ease. ...
The page shows how to recover any lost video on Mac with Recoverit video recovery software for Mac. It's the best solution for lost video recovery on Mac. ...