If you face the blinking error “User Profile cannot be loaded” message on your Windows? Then, it is a critical issue that needs to be looked at and solved instantly. With a corrupted user profile, you will also be able to witness other operating system-related issues like user profile lock, disappearance, and so on. So, if you wish to know how to fix a corrupted user profile on Windows 10, the solution is simple. Just scroll through today’s post to get rid of the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10.
Part 1: Overview of corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10
- What is the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10?
If you newly upgraded to Windows 10, another possible common issue you might end up with is the “corrupted user profile.” If the user profile is corrupt or missing, you can result in an error message. Although your files and applications still exist in the user account, you can encounter this due to some specific causes discussed later. As Windows 10 version is strongly affiliated with the Microsoft account and user profile, such user profile corruption may lead to severe issues.
- Causes of the corrupted user profile issue on windows 10
So, why or how can the user profile corruptions occur? There are specific probable root causes as under:
- Missing or corrupted user profile: If the user profile of your PC is corrupted or missing during the Windows manual or automatic update, that is a failed attempt; this error will occur.
- Compromised file system integrity: There are times when the hard drive gets damaged due to power outrages or malware infections leading to low loading or improper booting process driving this error.
- Registry Key corruption: Sometimes, a corrupted registry key of the user profile makes the user profile becomes inaccessible.
- Active Directory corruption: If the active directory of your system user account is corrupted or missing, there are high chances for the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10.
- Symptoms of the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10
Symptom 1: When the user profile gets corrupted, a temporary profile will load on the startup screen with the error message “User profile cannot be loaded”.
Symptom 2: Representing the user profile corruption, you will not be able to load the system, and in the worst case, you will result in failed attempts during the Windows 10 login.
Symptom 3: The user profile gets locked out and keeps disappearing from the user files.
Part 2: Solutions to fix a corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10
Found the reasons that cause the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10? Now, it’s time to know how to fix a corrupted user profile on Windows 10.
Solution 1: Use of Windows Registry
The first way to repair the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10 is with the Windows Registry. Make sure you execute it correctly, as you can miss out on critical data if it is a failed attempt.
- On the search box, enter regedit that will take you to the Windows Registry Editor window.
- Once launched, enter the key:
- On the following page, click the S-1-5 folder followed by double-clicking the ProfileImagePath entry.
- If you have determined the corrupted user profile (no a. bak ending), double-click the RefCountfactor, change the value to 0 and hit the OK button.
- Double-click on the State option to ensure that the value is 0. Then, execute “OK > Close Registry Editor > Restart PC.”
Solution 2: Create/Recreate a new user profile
A reliable option to fix a corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10 is to create a new user profile and copy its contents or files from the current user account. To create a new user profile, follow the below steps:
- Power on your computer and enter into the safe mode.
- Now, right-click on the start option, and tap the “Command prompt (Admin).”
- Enter the command net user administrator /active: yes, and press Enter.
- Once you get the “Command completed successfully message,” reboot the computer.
- As the admin account is active, you can now create the new account by executing “Windows Key + I > Accounts > Family and Other People > Add someone else to this computer.”
- Now, copy the files to the new user profile or account.
Solution 3: Run SFC and DISM scan
Another way to fix the corrupted user profile issue on windows 10 is to use the SFC scan and DISM. To do so,
- Go to the Command Prompt and enter the command sfc/scannow followed by “Enter.”
- If the SFC scan doesn’t work, you can execute the DISM scan on the command prompt instead. On the command prompt, enter the command: DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth followed by the Enter key and restarting your PC.
Part 3: Tips related to corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10
The tips below can help you fix a corrupted user profile on Windows 10 and avoid other such circumstances.
- Install an antivirus program handy: As malware infection is one reason for such user profile corruption, you must ensure a trustworthy antivirus application.
- Be cautious: As rendering the user registry is another fix to the error correction, you must be careful before executing it. You can prefer avoiding DIY practices relating to the registry repair and approach any software services.
- Make an up-to-date backup: There are high chances for data loss if the user profile corruption is based on Windows Registry Hive. To save critical or essential data, making an up-to-date backup of all the files is vital.
- Periodic check of drives: Another possible reason for the user profile is the read-write actions and power outrages. Hence, you need to have a regular check over the driver software to clear the issues prior.
The Bottom Line
While the technical error messages might seem impossible to crackdown, there are countless solutions to fix them. Relatively, today, we discussed the corrupted user profile issue on Windows 10 in detail regarding its causes, symptoms, answers, and tips. Now that you learned how to fix a corrupted user profile on Windows 10 put them into practice and note down the information to push away the error forever.
People Also Ask
- How can I find the corrupted user profile?
To find or tell which user profile is damaged, follow the below steps:
- First, create a new user account with the same group membership and rights or associations related to the user profile.
- Now, copy the user settings of the suspect profile to that of the profile created recently in the user account.
- Finally, log in to your new user account. If the same error leads to the suspect user profile, you have a damaged profile or a corrupted user account.
- Can I recover a deleted user profile in Windows 10?
Yes, to restore or recover the deleted user profile on Windows 10, you need to restart the system. Enter the Windows recovery window, and execute “Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.” By doing so, you will enter into the safe mode of your PC.
- Is rebuilding a profile in Windows 10 possible?
Yes. To rebuild a Windows 10 profile, open the Microsoft Management Console. After administrator confirmation, select “Local Users & Groups > Users Folder > Action Menu > New User > Create”. After you have created the user account, restart your Windows.
- Is it possible to remove or delete the corrupted profile in Windows 10 using GUI?
To remove or delete the corrupted profile permanently, you need to enter the control panel.
- On the control panel, execute “System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings.”
- On the “User Profiles” section, click the “Settings” button.
- Select the user profile that is corrupted and tap the delete button.
It is important to note that you cannot delete the profile you are accessing at present by this method.
- Win System Crash
- Windows Tips
- Computer Problems
- Blue Screen Errors