Are you wondering what is M1 chip? Why is Apple using it on their devices? The M1 chip is the latest in a line of Apple chips designed to improve performance and efficiency in MacBook, iMacs, and Mac Minis.
The Apple M1 is an SoC or System on a Chip that includes a processor, memory, and other components on a single chip. It is the first chip designed by Apple to be used on Macs. However, most users don’t know precisely what is M1 chip.
In this article, we'll try to understand what is M1 chip, how it works, and why Apple opted to use it.
Part 1. What Is M1 Chip
M1 is the first processor chip designed by Apple Inc and has a 64-bit quad-core processor that features Arm architecture with four high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores. It has a base frequency of 2.0 GHz and a maximum turbo frequency of 3.2 GHz.
Apple’s M1 is a significant departure from the Intel processors used in previous generations of Apple computers. The M1 chip is more efficient and faster, offering an excellent performance boost for Macs.
Part 2. The Features/ Difference of M1 Chip
The M1 chip is Apple's newest processor and boasts some impressive features. In addition, it's more powerful than Intel's processors, making it a top choice for Mac users.
If you're considering purchasing a Mac with an Apple M1 chip, here are some of the features you can expect:
- CPU and GPU: The M1 chip has up to 3.5x faster 8-core CPU and 6x faster 8-core GPU. This helps improve the performance of the processor, making it more efficient.
- Longer Battery Life: As the M1 chip is more efficient than previous processors, your Mac will have longer battery life.
- Wide Range Of Compatibility: The chip M1 is also compatible with a wide range of peripherals and accessories.
- Neural Engine: The chip comes with 6.5x faster machine learning capabilities than previous processors. This is because Apple has added a Neural Engine component to the M1 chip, making it suitable for demanding tasks like video editing and gaming.
- Faster Image and Video Processing: The chip offers up to 3.9x faster video processing and 7.1x image processing speed.
Part 3. Review of M1 Chip
The new M1 chip from Apple is a game-changer. The chip outperforms Intel processors and is a huge leap forward for Apple. Moreover, it will change the way we use Apple products forever, as it opens up new possibilities for Apple products.
Here’s the Apple M1 review:
1. The Benefits
The M1 chip in Apple's Mac computers provides a number of benefits over traditional Intel-based processors. These benefits include:
- Improved Performance: The chip offers improved and better performance over the Intel-based processors because M1 has an 8-cores CPU in which 4-cores are for performance and 4-cores are for efficiency.
- Longer Battery Life: Apple M1 chips are energy-efficient and, therefore, offer a longer battery life of up to 20 hours.
- Improved Security Features: M1 chips do not come with a separate T2 chip for encryption because the security features are built into them.
- Thermal Throttling: M1 chips generate heat like every other processor, but the heat is quickly dispersed by passive cooling and the overall impact on performance, such as CPU/GPU slowing down, is minimal.
- Price: Macs with M1 chips price is much more reasonable than Intel-based Macs. For instance, MacBook Pro 13 M1 costs $1,299, while the price of the Intel MacBook Pro 13 is $1,799.
- Neural Network Processing Technology: Neural network processing technology is a type of artificial intelligence used to process data in a manner similar to the human brain. This technology enables the M1 chip to deliver industry-leading performance and efficiency.
- Secure Enclave: The Secure Enclave integrated into the M1chip (SoCs) keeps the user data safe even when the operating system’s application kernel is compromised.
In addition, the M1 chip is specifically designed for Apple's operating system, providing a smoother and more seamless experience for Mac users.
2. The Drawbacks
The MacBook M1 chip has been praised for its performance and efficiency. Overall, the M1 chip is an excellent addition to the Mac lineup, but before making a switch, there are some drawbacks that you should keep in mind:
- The processor does not support multiple GPUs or screen displays.
- M1 chips are not compatible with all software, which sometimes create problems for gamers.
3. M1 Speed
The M1 chip is notable for its integrated graphics processor, which is significantly faster than the previous generation. It means you can now edit 4K videos or play graphics-intensive games on your Mac without any issues.
4. M1 Security Feature
The M1 chip offers several new features, including a new security feature called "Secure Enclave."
Secure Enclave is a hardware-based security feature that provides an extra layer of protection for your data. With this, your information is stored in a separate, secure location on the M1 chip. This ensures it is protected even if your device is lost or stolen.
5. M1 Battery Life
Apple's M1 chip is one of the most innovative products to come out in recent years. This chip is a game-changer because it offers significantly better battery life, i.e., up to 20 hours, which is a huge improvement over the previous Intel-based chips.
Moreover, it's also more energy-efficient. This means that your Mac will run cooler and quieter with an M1 chip.
6. Will Apps Run On An M1 Mac?
If you are wondering whether your favorite apps will work on the Apple Mac M1, There is good news for you.
Macs can run iOS and iPadOS apps if the developer agrees to port them. This means that a wide range of apps will be available to M1 Mac users from day one.
However, the critical point is that not all apps will be compatible with M1 Macs. Some apps may require updates in order to work correctly on the new platform, and some developers may simply choose not to port their apps.
So if you're worried about your favorite app not working on your new M1 Mac, you can rest assured that there is a good chance it will still be available to you.
Video Tutorial on Apple's M1 Chip Explained
Part 4. The M1 Pro & The M1 Max
Both the M1 Pro and M1 Max are impressive chips that offer a lot of power and efficiency. However, the earlier provides up to 16-core GPU, 200 GB memory, a ProRes encode and decode engine, and one video encode engine.
While the latter offers up to 32-core GPU, 400 GB memory, two ProRes encode and decode engine, and two video encode engines.
Part 5. Should I Buy An Apple M1 Mac
The Apple M1 mac is one of the newest desktops with many features, making it appealing to users. However, it is important that you weigh the pros and cons of any purchase, especially when buying something big like a desktop.
The answer to whether you should buy an Apple M1 Mac or not depends upon a few things:
- Are you looking for improved efficiency and performance?
- Do you have the budget to buy the M1 Mac?
- Do you need a desktop with better battery life?
- Are you looking for a desktop with enhanced security features?
If your reply to the above questions is an astounding YES, you should buy a Mac with the M1 chip.
In this article, we’ve explored what is M1 chip, its features, benefits, and drawbacks. We discussed that the M1 chip is an Arm-based system designed by Apple Inc and is used in the latest generation of MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini.
It is faster and more efficient than previous generations of processors and offers a number of other benefits as well. However, the M1 chip is not without its drawbacks, and you need to weigh these aspects before deciding if it is the right processor for you.
Is M1 Chip Better Than Intel?
M1 chips are more powerful than Intel-based chips, as they offer 3.5x more speed and improved battery life.Moreover, it comes with a Neural Engine and supports thunderbolt 3 and USB 4.0.
What Is M1 Chip Equivalent To?
The M1 chip is equivalent to the A14 chip in the latest Apple iPhone and iPad Air models.
Will There Be A M1 Extreme?
Yes, there will be an M1 extreme chip as they are expected to release in September 2022.