How to Fix Computer Randomly Restarts
Nowadays computers are being used in almost all aspects of life. Most of the people nowadays use the computer for professional uses. Professionals like graphic designers and gamers need a fast and efficient computer. Any small miss convenience like a computer randomly starting can have a huge impact like the loss of unsaved data or the loss of a game.
Computer randomly restarting ruins the user experience and can cause a lot of time waste. Therefore, in this article, we will be discussing the reasons for computer randomly restarting. We also will be discussing some of the solutions to solve the problem and tips to prevent that from happening.
Part 1. What are the Causes of the Computer Randomly Restarting?
Windows is an extremely advanced and complex piece of software that deals with thousands of files at one time. Sometimes there can be some kind of conflict in the software that causes the computer to restart.
A computer can also randomly restart as a precautionary measure because of some hardware issue. Now given below are some main reasons for your computer randomly restarting.
- RAM Issue: RAM issues can cause the computer to restart randomly with various other issues. There can be issues with RAM, as well as the RAM slot being dirty. If you hear a beeping sound before the computer restarts, the issue is most probably with the dirty RAM slot. A simple fix is to clean it.
- Overheating: Overheating is one of the most common reasons for the computer to restart randomly. Some of the most common reasons for the computer overheating are excessive use of the system, dirty fan, and dirty CPU.
- Faulty Power Supply: Issue with the power supply can also cause the computer to restart. A simple fix to this error is the replacement of the power supply.
- Malware Infection: One of the most common reasons for a computer to restart randomly is because of some malware infecting the operating system and corrupting the files.
Part 2. What Methods can you Use to Fix Random Computer Restarts?
The above given are some of the most common reasons for the random computer restarts. Some of the above issues have a simple solution to solve the issue of some of them requires a proper solution, but you don't have to worry about it as we have got your back. So now, we are going to explain some of the solutions with a step-by-step guide.
Method 1. Deactivating Automatic Restart Feature
The latest versions of Windows come equipped with the automatic restart feature that restarts a computer when some error occurs. This is a safety feature added by windows to protect the computer from dealing with damage. If your computer restarts without any error message, the first thing you should do is turn off the Windows Automatic Restart Feature. If you are wondering how to do that, follow the given below guide to learn.
- First step is to open properties by right-clicking on the "This PC" button.
- Select the "Advanced System settings."
- Now, in the "Advanced System settings," go to the "Startup and Recovery" section.
- Locate and disable the "Automatically Restart" and then press "OK" to save changes.
Method 2. Update/Reinstall Graphics Drivers
Sometimes Windows forcefully restarts if there is some issue with the graphic drivers or if the latest graphic drivers are incompatible. This error can be caused by the improper installation of the graphic drivers. Windows can also make a computer restart if the graphic drivers are outdated.
This issue can be fixed simply by updating or reinstalling the graphic. You can simply reinstall or update your graphic drivers by simply following the guide given below.
- First thing you need to do is open "Device Manager," you can do that by right-clicking on the start button and selecting "Device Manager" from the pop-up menu.
- Locate the "Display adapters" in the "Device Manager" window and select "Uninstall" by right-clicking on it.
- In the next appearing window, choose the "Delete the driver software for this device" option and press OK to confirm it.
- To reinstall the correct graphic drivers, restart the Windows, and it will automatically detect and install the correct drivers.
- Another method to update graphic drivers is to right-click on the "Display adapters" and select "Update Diver Software." This will fix the computer randomly restart issue.
Method 3. Fixing RAM Issues
Errors with the RAM and faulty RAM can also cause the computer system to restart randomly without any warning. If your computer restart after a beep and not unexpectedly, there is a high chance that it has something to do with the RAM.
Now you can use a built-in Memory Diagnostic tool by Windows. This tool is specifically designed to fix memory issues in Windows. To learn how to use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, follow the below-given guide.
- Open the "Run" window by simply pressing "Windows + R," type "mdsched.exe" in the "Run" search bar, and then press OK to open Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.
- In the pop-up window, select the "Restart now and check for problems" option to start the diagnostic process.
- Windows Memory Diagnostic tool will open. It will also show the progress status of the diagnostic process.
- After the diagnostic is complete; the computer will restart and display the results. If there were any errors detected in the process, they would be fixed it.
Method 4. Safe Mode Troubleshooting
Another reason for the occurrence of this error can be some faulty software or application. If you can not locate the app that contains the error, one thing you can do to solve the issue is to troubleshoot, but sometimes that faulty software can prevent the Windows from troubleshooting in normal boot mode. Therefore, to troubleshoot, you might need to enter the "Safe Mode." Follow the given steps to learn how to do that.
- Open the Window start menu by clicking on the Windows start icon on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Now, in the power options, select Restart while holding the left shift button.
- As soon as the Windows begin to restart, release the shift key, and Windows will reboot in "Safe Mode."
- Now, simply perform troubleshooting, and it will fix the random restarting error.
Method 5. Deactivating Fast Startup
Fast startup is a feature added by Microsoft in Windows that allows the computer to boot up faster after a complete shutdown. This seems like a handy feature, but some users have reported that the fast startup feature makes their computer restart unexpectedly. Some users also reported that disabling the fast startup feature fixes the random Windows restart.
- To simply deactivate the fast startup feature, follow the given below step.
- Open the Windows start menu and search for the "Control Panel" to open it.
- Now navigate and locate "Power options." Open them.
- Navigate from the left side of the Window and select "Choose what the power button does."
- Select and execute "Change settings that are currently unavailable."
- Locate and disable the "Turn on fast startup." Press OK to save the changes, and it will probably fix the error.
Part 3. What are the Tips to Avoid Random Computer Restarts?
Above are all the given solutions that you can use to fix the random Windows Restart error. As a wise person said that "Precaution is better than the treatment," so you can take precautionary measures to prevent that error from occurring. Given below are some tips that you can follow to prevent the issue from happening.
- Sometimes a random Windows restart can be caused by the excessive use of the computer. So if your computer restarts randomly, simply leave your computer for the rest for a bit, and it might fix the problem.
- Dirty CPU can cause overheating issues, which can ultimately lead down to more issues like random computer restart. To fix that, all you need to do is clean the CPU and replace the thermal paste on it.
- Avoid installing non-certified and malicious software and applications. If a virus affects your computer, use a paid anti-virus software to keep your computer clean.
- Overall, cleaning the PC can prevent your PC from a lot of issues. You can simply clean the fan and the RAM slots to prevent a lot of issues from happening.
Windows restarting randomly can be a major issue if you are professional and cause a lot of problems such as data corruption. This issue can be avoided from occurring just by simply following some tips given in this article.
However, even if following the precautionary measures, the error still occurs, you can simply follow our given step, and it will solve the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a computer randomly restart because of an outdated BIOS?
Yes, an outdated BIOS can cause errors like random computer restarts. This can be simply fixed by updating the BIOS.
- Why does a blue screen error occurs?
A blue screen appears to indicate an error that appears in your computer. The blue error screen appears with an error message often when the computer restarts unexpectedly. This indicates that the computer detected a problem and it needs to restart.
- How to fix the Windows automatically restarting for updates?
Some of the solutions to fix the random restarts for updates are given below.
- Make use of the Task Scheduler.
- Make use of the Registry Editor.
- Make use of the Group Policy.
- Win System Crash
- Windows Tips
- Computer Problems
- Blue Screen Errors