Q: How do you fix the green screen on videos?
It can be irritating when a green screen appears on the video you are playing. The green screen normally develops due to problems with the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) of your device. Also, you may be faced with a green screen problem during video playback on the VLC player as well as Windows Media Player. All of these instances may seem overwhelming but they can be fixed once you follow the steps that will be provided here. You can also prevent future occurrences of a green screen on your videos when you take into account, the tips in this article.
There are several reasons why your screen turns green when watching videos and they include:
1. Outdated Graphic Card Drivers: Problems related to graphics cards can be the major factor responsible for the green screen on videos. This occurs when your graphic drivers are outdated and therefore, can no longer support the effective processing and playing of videos on your device. GPU rendering is simply the use of a graphics card for the rendering of functions like videos. If its drivers are not as updated as your operating system, then the green screen error develops.
2. Unsupportive Flash Player: This occurs when the flash from which you are playing your video is not of a capacity that can support the video, especially when the video quality is high. Besides, a green screen error could occur due to the poor performance of your system hardware that comes from damages or corruption.
3. Unreliable Third-party Software: A software from another source, when used on your system can be the cause of system errors thereby leading to a green screen on videos. This is more so when malware or the other finds its way into your system when you download the third-party software. It could even be a virus that comes with the software itself.
4. Other Factors: Other factors responsible for the green screen on videos include corrupt or damaged video files, errors that occur during video downloads and transfers, corrupt operating systems, as well as media player program errors.
Here, you will be provided with different solutions to try when it comes to fixing the green screen error of your videos; they include:
Wondershare Repairit Video Repair is a product released by Wondershare, to enable you to fix your video errors across all devices. Also, this tool is unique as it ensures that you do not lose your video files after repairing them. This tool repairs videos for different formats such as MOV, FLV, AVI, MKV, 3GP, among others. It repairs videos in two modes:
It can even use its Advanced Repair mode to increase video repair quality. The mode uses the data of a sample video to repair your corrupted file. Wondershare Repairit analyzes the video structure and learns how the corrupted video, which has the same format as the sample video, works, and thus further repairs corrupted videos.
Video files that have been corrupted during the processes of video conversion, editing, or transfer can be repaired with Repairit Video Repair. You can use the steps below to fix the green screen on videos using this tool:
Windows Media Player is the default video and audio player for the Windows Operating System. If a green screen appears on your videos while playing on Windows Media Player, you can fix it using the following solutions.
The steps to edit the settings of your Windows Media Player are:
1. Launch Windows Media Player. Go to the "Tools" menu bar, so choose "Options". Press the "Alt" key on your keyboard.
2. Select "Performance". Go to the box next to "Turn on DirectX video acceleration" and uncheck it.
1. Visit the Microsoft website, download "Codecs"
2. Download the setup file which you will then use to install the codecs you downloaded
3. You can also use codecs from a third-party in this solution, and not necessarily from Microsoft itself.
1. Press the keys "Win" + "R". In Command prompt, type in: dxdiag. Press "Enter" on your keyboard.
2. Browse through the pop-up window and locate where the DirectX version is shown; take note of it.
3. Go to your browser and visit the DirectX official website. If there is the latest version of the program apart from the one you took note of, you should download it.
4. Open the file you downloaded and then install it on your PC.
1. Start your system's "Command Prompt" as the administrator
2. In this interface, type in "regsvr32 wmvdecod.dll", then press "Enter" on your keyboard.
Note that this solution is limited to only videos played on Windows-based systems and devices. This means that for another OS based system like Mac, you cannot fix the green screen using the solution. However, read on to find out how you can fix the green screen on all devices and still recover all your lost video data.
VLC is a media player that is free and able to support the playing of different media files with ease. Being a media player, you cannot use the following methods for videos in CDs for example. You can fix the green screen on VLC using the following steps:
Uninstall VLC from your computer and try to reinstall it, before playing the videos again.
To do this on Windows, follow these steps.
1. Click on "Tools" from the menu, then let "Preferences" be your choice.
2. Set the "Show Settings to All" choice before choosing the "Video" > "Output" module. For more recent versions of Windows (from XP downwards), try "DirectX 3D", "OpenGL", "DirectX", and "Windows GDI video" output modules.
3. Restart your VLC to play properly without the green screen error.
Go to VLC media player preferences and disable video acceleration; an older desktop can cause this error from a video card that cannot support recent high-quality videos. Play the files by restarting the application.
This is commonly used as an online solution for the green screen on videos. The steps differ for different browsers so take note.
1. Go to "Search", type "Internet Options" and choose it from the menu.
2. Go to the "Advanced" tab. Under "Accelerated Graphics", tick the box beside "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering*". Select "Apply" and click "OK". Your changes will be saved.
1. Select "Menu". Click on "Options"
2. In the "General" section, go to "Performance" and untick the "Use recommended performance settings" and the "Use hardware acceleration when available" boxes.
3. Close the "Options" tab and hardware acceleration automatically gets disabled.
1. Click on "Menu", and select "Settings" from it.
2. Under the "Settings" options, select "Advanced"
3. In the "System" section, put off the "Use hardware acceleration when available" option.
4. Close the "Settings" tab and then restart your Google Chrome.
To update your graphics drivers in Windows, ensure you are logged in as "Administrator". Follow these steps:
You can run your PC's troubleshooter to fix the green screen on Windows 10 with these steps:
For a persistent green screen on YouTube videos, try to change the video quality to make it easily supported by your device. Do this in the following steps.
It is good to know how to fix the green screen on your system, but it is even better to know how to prevent the green screen from covering up your videos in the first place. Some tips are provided for you below:
Having seen that it is possible to fix the green screen on videos for both Mac and Windows, you should have no reason to worry. What's more? You can prevent a green screen on your system by taking the precautions that have been spelled out above.