Q: How do I permanently sync audio and video in VLC?
This is a query posted by a VLC player user who has encounter audio-video syncing issues with some files. Well, chances are that you might also face a similar issue and would like to repair a corrupt MP4 file. Since the problem can happen due to a corrupt video, media player, or any other issue, you should look for a handful of ways to fix audio video sync permanently. In this guide, I will let you know about every possible way to fix audio in the video.
Audio-to-video synchronization is a vital part of any media content. It makes sure that the audio component in the file would be synced with the video for seamless playback. To do audio-video repair, you can first learn why the problem arises in the first place.
Ideally, there could be different scenarios for the audio-video syncing issues:
As you can see, the audio-to-video sync issues can happen in different scenarios. For instance, a while back, I realized that my GoPro video only plays audio and the video would start after a few seconds. This made me research a few solutions to fix audio video sync issues permanently. Following are some of the foolproof solutions to repair a corrupt MP4 file of various audio-video sync issues:
If you are looking for a quick solution to fix audio video sync permanently then try a reliable tool like Recoverit Video Repair. The DIY application can fix all kinds of issues related to a video like a corrupt file, missing meta component, blurry images, out of sync audio/video, and more. It features two different repairing modes, quick and advanced. For the advanced repairing, you need to upload a sample video of the same format as the corrupt video.
The application runs on both Mac and Windows and supports every leading video format like MOV, MP4, FLC, AVI, and more. To learn how to fix delayed audio on a video using Recoverit Video Repair, follow these steps:
Whenever you wish to repair a corrupt MP4 file, simply launch the Recoverit Video Repair application. You can just click the Add button or "Add video and start repairing" area to add the videos you wish to repair. You can add multiple videos as well to repair them at the same time.
Once the malfunctioning videos are added to the application, just click on the “Repair” button to start the process. Kindly be patient and wait for a few minutes for the application to complete the repairing process.
When the repairing operation is completed, you will be notified by the application. You can now preview any video files and save the repaired videos to any appropriate location on your computer.
In case if the quick repairing process is not able to fix the issue, then you can perform a more sophisticated operation. Just click on the “Advanced Repair” option in this case and add a sample video. A sample video should have the same format as the corrupted video (and must be shot on the same device as well). While advanced repair will take more time, the results would also be better.
If you use a Windows Media Player to watch videos, then you can also use its native feature to fix audio in video issues. The media player would try to sync any timestamp difference between audio and video on its own. If there is a minor issue with your file, then Windows Media Player would be able to do the audio-video repair in this case.
1. To begin with, just launch the Windows Media Player application on your system, load the malfunctioning video, and just go to the Organize tab on the top.
2. From here, go to the Organizer > Options feature to open a pop-up window for Media Player Options.
3. Visit the “Performance” tab from here, which is usually the last tab in the window. Now, you can first enable the buffer for a few seconds (1-10) so that the player would first buffer the network videos before playing.
4. Also, you can find an option for “Drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized”. Simply enable this option and save your settings so that the media player would drop unwanted frames to keep the audio and video components in sync.
VLC offers another popular and freely available media player for different systems that you can try to fix audio video sync permanently. You can access its Track Synchronization feature to adjust the timestamp of the audio. This will help you fix a video lag between the audio and video component in the file automatically. To learn how to fix delayed audio on a video (or vice versa) using VLC Media Player, follow these steps:
1. If you encounter any audio/video lag while playing the video, then just press the J or the K keys. They are predefined hotkeys in VLC that would adjust the audio lag to +/- 50 milliseconds instantly.
2. To access customized settings, you can go to VLC Media Player’s Toolbar > Tools > Track Synchronization option. Make sure that the video you wish to fix is already opened on VLC beforehand.
3. This will open a dedicated window for you to adjust the audio and video effects of the file. From here, go to the Synchronization tab and adjust the audio track synchronization.
4. If the audio is running ahead of the video, then click on the up arrow to add delay to the file. On the other hand, use the down arrow if the video component is ahead of the audio.
Apart from the above-listed solutions, you can try the following suggestions to fix audio in video issues.
Besides the audio-video sync issue, you might encounter a few other audio-related problems in videos as well. Here are some of these common problems that you can easily fix for a better experience.
The situation arises when a video file does not have any audio component at all. This might happen due to a missing component or a device-related issue with your system.
Sometimes, users also encounter that the audio is either distorted or it has been missing in some part of a video. You might have muted the audio while recording the video or the file can be corrupted as well.
If you don’t want to suffer from unwanted audio problems in your videos, then consider following these suggestions.
This brings us to the end of this extensive guide on how to fix delayed audio on a video (or vice versa). As you can see, we have covered every possible audio-video synchronization issue with different audio-video repair options. If you don’t want to encounter a similar issue again, then keep a dedicated tool like Recoverit Video Repair handy. It is a highly reliable application that can repair corrupt MP4 files (or other video formats) easily. You can follow its simple click-through process to fix corrupt and damaged video files on your own without any trouble.