Mac computers (iMacs and MacBooks) are recognized for having an operating system (Mac OS) that provides a lot of security and fluidity, fully fulfilling complex tasks of all kinds. However, your files may be deleted due to several factors, such as accidental deletion, data corruption, or even because you accidentally formatted your hard drive. Whichever the case, it has a solution, so keep calm because here I will help you restore your lost information through an external drive with a FireWire connection by following a couple of simple steps.
Part 1: What Are the Causes of Data Loss in Mac Drive?
Q: Is there a way to recover deleted files from trash on MAC?
The loss of information on any computer is one of the least desirable situations for any user who generally saves important documents, photos, and files on the hard drive and removable storage devices. This situation may be due to several factors, which will be described below:
- Accidental human errors: This problem is more common than it seems. There are times when we delete entire folders of information that we believe we no longer need and then you realize it was a bad idea. It may also happen that we delete certain files and do not realize that there is useful information inside.
- Physical issues: The information is usually stored on the hard disk of the computer or a removable external storage device with USB or FireWire input. Due to the constant use, they can present problems after a prolonged time after exceeding their useful life, so this can generate errors in the storage and therefore the information is deleted without the user's consent.
- Electronic Issues: The vast majority of storage media, such as hard drives, flash drives, Micro SD, or external hard drives with FireWire input, are vulnerable to power problems. The power cables can suffer damage that can cause problems in the transfer or storage of data, which can generate many problems, such as loss of information, data corruption, or even permanent damage in the format of the storage device.
- Logical Issues: The Mac OS operating system is very reliable and for many users, it is considered the best of all. However, if it fails to update its performance during the reading and writing process can be reduced, causing loss of information or corrupted files.
Part 2: Common Data Loss Symptoms for FireWire Drives
The FireWire cable input is something characteristic of MAC computers, which is very similar to USB technology with some differences in file transmission speed, watts of power, and device management.
The loss of information is a problem that affects all types of storage devices, including FireWire drives and although it is not something that happens often, some symptoms warn you of the possibility of failure.
Here I will talk about the most common symptoms:
- Clicking Sounds or Other Unusual Notes: FireWire drives can make slight sounds, as their internal disk constantly rotates when reading and writing information. However, if it generates a sound that is not common to hear, it is most likely that you have a problem and that your information may be at risk.
- Missing Files or Folders: If for some reason you are missing files or folders and you are sure that you did not delete them, your FireWire drive may be failing and deleting some of your information. This is because when a disk has damaged sectors, the information physically stored in these sectors becomes inaccessible.
- File Corruption Error Messages: Sometimes the documents may become corrupt and damaged due to many factors such as viruses, operating system malfunction, or even due to an application malfunction.
- Failure to Power On: If your disk does not turn on, it can be due to a variety of factors, however, if it is a simple problem, simply disconnect it and reconnect it, or if there is a power problem you should change the FireWire cable. If the above solutions are not able to solve the problem, your disk may be at risk and you should ask for professional help.
- Failure to Mount or Recognize: When the operating system fails to recognize the storage device, it will be unable to read or write information on it. This problem may be due to physical damage or even an error in its format, which is easy to solve but implies the loss of the information stored in it.
- Extremely Slow Transfer and File Access Speeds: Modern hard drives, regardless of storage capacity, should not present transfer problems, if the reading or writing processes are taking longer than normal, it may be due to a Virus / Malware or even physical damage.
Part 3: How to Recover Data from Mac via FireWire Cable?
If your data stored on an external device gets lost, don’t worry! Recoverit can help you recover lost data from an external media on Windows or Mac computer. Regardless of the type and model of the external device, you stand a good chance of getting them back using Recoverit Data Recovery for Mac. For example, external drives, memory cards, cameras, music players, pen drives, etc.
Here I will show you how to use this tool step by step and in a matter of minutes your information will be recovered
Step 1: Select the Drive
To recover lost or deleted files from a drive, you should choose it as the target location for data scanning and searching.
Step 2: Scan the removable media
An all-around scan starts once you make the choice. It usually takes a few minutes.
During the process, you can filter and locate files of your choice.
Step 3: Preview and recover files
After it, Recoverit provides the preview function for you before recovery. A variety of files can be previewed, such as pictures, videos, movies, audios, music, documents, and so forth. Then, select one or more files you want to restore and click "Recover" to get all of them back.
Part 4: Top Brands for External Hard Drive with Firewire
As mentioned before, FireWire is a type of connection, which is not as popular as the USB connection, but still has a global reach and several recognized brands produce devices with this input. Some of these brands are:
- G-Tech: It is a well-known brand for producing high capacity hard drives and enterprise-class storage systems, with the latest technology and maximum security for device protection.
- LaCie: This Company produces external hard drives, solid-state drives, and RAID solutions, which makes it a very reliable supplier with very strict quality standards that generate trust in users.
- Seagate: Seagate drives are particularly famous for their attractive costs, high component quality, and excellent performance. They offer a wide variety of models that adapt to the needs of each user.
Part 5: What Are the Advantages of Using FireWire Cable?
- Target Disk Mode: If a Mac is connected to another Mac using a FireWire cable, the Target Disk Mode can be activated, which allows you to quickly transfer files between both computers, migrate data to another Mac or manage the information even when the operating system cannot work correctly.
- Uncompressed video capture: If you connect a cam to your Mac through a FireWire cable, a transfer can be made without the file being compressed, which is too convenient since in this way you will get higher quality files.
- Faster Data Transfer: FireWire technology is quite fast, its transfer speed can reach 400 MB/s which makes it an ideal option for transferring large amounts of information.
- No networking configuration: When two devices are connected via a FireWire cable, there is no need for a networking configuration, this greatly facilitates the data transfer process, saving a lot of time and avoiding transfer failures due to an unstable network connection.
FireWire technology is very popular among Mac users because it is very easy to use and has high transfer speeds, however, external disks can fail for many reasons and this can result in loss of information and data corruption, for this reason, regardless of the type of storage medium you use, it is always advisable to make constant backups of all the information you deem necessary, if for some reason, you do not have a backup of your information, you can use a professional data recovery tool. With Recoverit you can easily recover your information even if it is corrupted.
What's Wrong with Drive
- Recover Your Drive
- Fix Your Drive
- Format/Wipe Drive
- Know Your Drive