Have you ever faced a situation where your SD card's partition vanishes, leaving you unable to access your important data? You might have accidentally deleted the partition, or it could have been lost due to various other reasons.
Thankfully, it's possible to restore SD card partitions. In this post, you'll discover various SD card partition recovery methods.
In this article
Can You Recover a Deleted or Lost Partition on SD Card?
Yes, there are some built-in computer techniques that can help you recover deleted or lost partitions on an SD card. For instance, using Windows Disk Management or Disk Utility on macOS can help you identify if the partition is still accessible but not mounted.
If these built-in tools don't work or the partition is not accessible, you can rely on professional data recovery software to perform SD card partition recovery. As mentioned earlier, some popular data recovery software include Wondershare Recoverit, Recuva, and TestDisk. These tools can scan the SD card, locate lost or deleted partitions, and attempt to recover the data stored on them.
However, the success of the recovery process depends on various factors, such as the extent of data corruption and whether the data has been overwritten. It's essential to stop using the SD card immediately after realizing you've lost a partition to increase the chances of successful recovery.
How To Recover Deleted or Lost Partition on SD Card
As explained above, you can use some built-in tools to restore an SD card partition. However, the most reliable method involves using memory card recovery software. In this section, we will first demonstrate how to recover a lost partition using Wondershare Recoverit. Then, we will show you how to perform SD card partition recovery using Disk Management.
Way 1: Restore SD Card Partition Using Wondershare Recoverit
Wondershare Recoverit stands out as the best partition recovery tool, offering a powerful and user-friendly solution for retrieving lost or deleted partitions on SD cards and other storage devices. Its intuitive interface, coupled with advanced scanning algorithms, ensures a high recovery rate across various file types.
To get started with Recoverit, download and install it. After that, follow these steps:
Step1Select the SD Card
Insert your SD card into your computer using an SD card reader. Open Recoverit and go to the Hard Drives and Locations tab where you'll find a list of devices. Select your SD card under External Devices to start the scanning process.
Step2Scan for SD Card Lost Partition
Recoverit will start scanning your SD card for lost or deleted partitions and files. The scanning process may take some time, depending on the size of your SD card and the amount of data stored on it. You can pause or stop the scanning procedure as you wish.
Step3Preview and Select Files/Folders
Once the scan is complete, you can preview the found files by clicking on them. Browse through the list and select the files you want to recover from the lost partition. You can use the search bar or filter options to locate specific files more easily.
Step4Recover Lost Partition Data
After selecting the files or folders you want to recover, click the Recover button. Choose a safe location on your computer or another storage device to save the recovered files, and then click Recover again to confirm the SD card partition recovery process.
You may also like:
Way 2: Recover Lost Partition on SD card via Disk Management
Incorrectly deleting files and virus attacks can result in unallocated space on your storage device, which many users often overlook. If you can't find the deleted partition through File Explorer, you might assume that the partition is completely gone. However, this might not be the case.
Disk Management is a helpful Windows system tool that can assist you in confirming whether your partition is missing or not, giving you a chance to recover lost partitions before they get overwritten.
To make the lost partition recognizable by Windows, you can create a new simple volume using Disk Management. Follow these steps to allocate the space:
- Press Windows + R, then type diskmgmt.msc in the window. Click OK to open Disk Management.
- Find the unallocated space in the Disk Management window. Right-click it and select New Simple Volume.
- On the Welcome to New Simple Volume Wizard window, click Next.
- Enter a smaller size for the new partition in the box on the Specify Volume Size window, then click Next.
- Choose a new drive letter for the new partition under Assign the following drive letter, then click Next.
- Select "Format this volume with the following settings" and click Next. Make sure the file system is NTFS.
- Finally, click Finish to close the last window and return to the main disk management window.
What Causes Loss of Partitions on SD cards?
There are many reasons for partition loss. Below are some common reasons for deleted partitions on SD cards:
- Accidental Deletion: You may unintentionally delete a partition while managing storage or performing other tasks on your SD card.
- File System Corruption: Damage to the file system due to improper handling, power failures, or virus attacks can lead to partition loss on your SD card.
- Improper Formatting: Incorrect formatting of the SD card or using an incompatible file system can cause partition loss.
- Bad Sectors: The presence of bad sectors on the SD card can result in partition corruption and eventually lead to partition loss.
- Partition Table Corruption: The partition table contains information about the partitions on the SD card. Corruption of this table can make partitions inaccessible and lead to their loss.
- Virus or Malware Attacks: Malicious software can corrupt your SD card's file system or partition table, resulting in partition loss.
- Hardware Failure: Physical damage to the SD card or issues with the card reader can also lead to the loss of partitions.
- Improper Ejection: Removing the SD card from a device without following the proper procedure can lead to partition corruption and loss.
Understanding these causes can help you take preventive measures to protect your SD card partitions and minimize the risk of partition loss.
Can I recover a lost or deleted partition on an SD card?Yes, you can recover a SD card lost partition using data recovery software, such as Wondershare Recoverit:
- Download and install Recoverit from the official website.
- Connect your SD card to your computer using an SD card reader.
- Launch Wondershare Recoverit on your computer.
- Select your SD card from the list of storage devices and click Scan.
- Wait for the scan to complete.
- Preview and select the files you want to recover from the lost partition.
- Click Recover to restore the SD card partition.
How successful is SD card partition recovery?The success of SD card partition recovery depends on various factors, such as the extent of data corruption, whether the data has been overwritten, and the effectiveness of the recovery software used. To increase the chances of successful recovery, stop using the SD card immediately after losing the partition and use a reliable data recovery tool.
What are some common causes of SD card partition loss?Some common causes of SD card partition loss include accidental deletion, file system corruption, improper formatting, virus attacks, and physical damage to the SD card.
Can I recover a lost partition on an SD card using built-in computer tools?You can try using built-in computer tools like Windows Disk Management or Disk Utility on macOS to check if the partition is still accessible but not mounted. However, these tools may not be as effective as specialized data recovery software for recovering lost or deleted partitions.
How can I prevent data loss on my SD card in the future?To prevent data loss on your SD card, follow these precautions:
- Regularly back up your data to another storage device or cloud storage service.
- Safely eject the SD card from your computer or device before removing it.
- Keep your SD card away from extreme temperatures, moisture, and magnetic fields.
- Use antivirus software to protect your computer and SD card from malware.
- Format your SD card using the correct file system and avoid interrupting the formatting process.
Recovering deleted partitions is not as difficult as it may appear. You can easily recover partitions on your SD card by following the methods mentioned in this post. However, if the steps are confusing, you can simply use Wondershare Recoverit. It is designed for effortless recovery of lost partitions on SD cards for both Windows and Mac systems.