Often, windows users face issues with an item unplayable error with their default playback application or in the windows movie maker. They can’t get their video to work. The error that comes up is the 0xc00d36e5 error. In their everyday lives, this issue may come up sometimes. It leaves the user confused about what to do.
The 0xc00d36e5 error is encountered in all the versions of the Windows OS and is quite common for windows 10 users. Most probably, this error occurs with .MOV files that are played thorugh an external drive. When this error occurs, you won’t be able to play your videos on windows.
However, you shouldn’t panic. There are solutions on how to solve 0xc00d36e5 error, which we will discuss below.
People often wonder how come they face the error 0xc00d36e5 issue in their windows OS. Even though there are several ways on how to fix 0xc00d36e5 errors, you would still wonder why it happens in the first place. There are several culprits for such a mishap to take place with your video files. Let’s check out the following reasons as to why the “item unplayable” error may occur.
Hardware issue: If you only face the “item unplayable” issue with the files you are playing through an external device like SD cards or external HDD cards, it may be due to a faulty cable or dusted USB stick. If that’s the reason, then you may fix it by replacing the damaged or broken hardware connected to your device.
Windows Media Player doesn’t support the file type: When you face the item unplayable error in playing a file in your windows media player, it would be because the media player doesn’t support the file. Here, the best option would be to avoid using third-party media players.
System files corruption: When you get corrupted windows dependencies when playing the video, you may face the 0xc99d36e5 error. When this takes place, you can remove those windows instances efficiently. You have to use a specific utility like DISM or SFC for resolving this issue.
Sometimes, you may face this unpleasant issue of 0xc00d36e5, and it would be super annoying. However, you can solve this issue and play your videos again. Let’s check out the different ways on how to solve the 0xc0036e5 error in windows.
Method 1: Wondershare Recoverit - The Most Time-saving Solution
One of the best ways to fix the “item unplayable” issue is using the Wondershare Recoverit software. It’s a professional video repair software through which you can repair your corrupt or damaged video files. The best part about this program is that you can repair any video corruption or damage issues like virus attacks, improper download, video format changes, or system crashes, by simply click its Corrupted Video Repair Feature.
It’s the most time-saving solution for repairing your “item unplayable” issue because it can assist you in repairing your files within 3 simple steps. Moreover, it allows you to repair any damages that occur to your files. Some of the features of the Wondersshare Repairit - Corrupted Video Repair include:
- Repairs different types of video file formats at the same time
- Allows you to repair videos on any device, which include memory and SD cards, external hard disk, and computer hard disk
- It supports repairing of multiple video file formats, including MP4, MOV, M2TS, MTS, AVI, 3GP, MKV, and FLV
- Supports operating systems including Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11, and Mac OS 10.10, 11, 12
How to Fix 0xc00d36e5 Error Video by Yourself using Recoverit - Video Repair?
This software comes with two different repair modes- quick repair mode and advanced repair mode. Through quick repair mode, you can solve simple errors. Meanwhile, thorugh advanced repair mode, you can repair complex errors. Let’s see how you can repair the error.
Step 1: Add the corrupted file
Once you launch the Wondershare Repairit software, you can add the corrupted file. To do that, you have to click on the “Add” button and add the video.
Step 2: Repair corrupted Videos
After loading the video file(s), you want to repair, click on the “Repair” button at the bottom right-hand corner. Then click on the OK button.
Step 3: Preview your repaired file
Then you would see a triangle on the screen. You can click on it and preview your repaired video. It will enable you to check whether the repair was successful or not.
Optional step 4: Add sample video
However, if your video is severely corrupted., then you need to follow this method. First, click on the “advanced Repair” option. Then click on the folder icon and add a video file sample that you want to repair. Then, click on the “Repair” button and choose whether you want to save it or not.
Optional step 5: Save your repaired video
After that, select a location where you want to save the file and click on save. You won’t face corruption issues again if you save the file at other location and not in the original location.
Method 2: Change PC Settings and Drivers
The “item unplayable” 0xc00d36e5 error may also appear due to certain settings or drivers of your computer. To know if it’s the issue, try playing the video on ‘safe mode.
How to open “safe mode” for checking your video files:
- Go to Settings on your Windows 10 OS
- Click on the ‘Update & security>Recovery
- Click on ‘Restart now’ under the Advanced startup
- Once PC restarts to the ‘choose an option’ screen, go to troubleshot>Advanced options> Startup settings> Restart
- Save your repaired files
- After restarting the PC, tap 4 or F4, and your PC will start on safe mode.
Check the video in safe mode, whether it works or not, and exit ‘safe mode’ To exit it, follow the below steps:
- Press R + Windows logo key
- Then type “Msconfig” in the run box that comes up and select OK
- Then, uncheck the safe boot checkbox from the boot options
If your videos play in the safe mode, then you have to:
- Update your video drivers
- Change your computer settings. To do that, go to Settings> Apps> Video Playback on your PC. Then, you can make changes in the Display, Advanced, and Graphics settings.
If your videos don’t work even in the boot mode, then your video file is corrupt, and you have to try other options in this article.
Method 3: Run SFC scan and DISM Command
When you have a corrupt video file, then you would come across the 0xc00d36e5 error. SFC scan can help you to troubleshoot any problem in your system that’s causing this error. It will scan and sometimes replace the missing or corrupt video file. If the SFC scan fails, you can run the DISM command for resolving the 0xc00d36e5 error. Let’s check how to scan both.
1. How to run the SFC scan?
- Type CMD on the windows search box
- Then, right-click on “CMD.”
- From the options, select “Run as Administrator”
- Then you will see a command prompt; there, you have to type SFC/scan now and press on the enter button
- Then the repair and scanning process will continue. Once done, restart your PC
- Then, you can play your video. If it shows the same results, then go for the DISM scan.
2. How to run the DISM scan?
- First, press Windows + X
- Then, you can select the Command Prompt (Admin)
- Then, type Dism/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth
- After that, press the enter button, and the program will start. The process will take approximately 10 minutes
- Once done, you can restart your PC and again run the SFC scan with the mentioned steps
Method 3: Uninstall the 3rd-party Application
The “item unplayable” issue may also come up as a result of third-party applications. These applications may interface with your PC’s functioning. Hence, your system may become slow, and then errors in your files may come up. When you notice the video 0xc00d36e5 error after installing any third-party software, add-ons, or plugins, then you can uninstall it. It will solve your “item unplayable” error.
Method 4: Using VLC Player to Fix the Issue
When it comes to how to fix 0xc00d36e5 error seamlessly, you can also try using the VLC media player. It supports different video file formats. It also allows you to fix video playback errors such as the 0xc00d36e5 error. Let’s see how to do it:
- Download the VLC Media Player on your PC (If not downloaded)
- Go to the Tools option and select preference
- After that, click on the input and Codecs, which will take you to the Always fix.
- Select Always Fic and click on Save.
- Then, you will be able to check whether the 0xc00d36e5 error is fixed or not.
Method 5: Clean Boot on Your PC
Many users reported getting the 0xc00d36e5 error. Resolved simply by clean-booting their PC. Let’s look at how you can do it below:
- First, press on the Windows logo key + R
- You will see a run dialogue box. , type msconfig, then click the OK button, and you will get to the general tab
- After that, click on Selective startup and uncheck the option ‘Load System items.’
- Then, check the boxes that are assigned in the use original boot configuration and load system services.
- Select the “Hide all Microsoft services” and click on the ‘Disable all’ button
- Once done, you can click on the Apply button and press OK. Your PC will restart, and then you can check whether the video is working or not.
You don’t have to panic when you come across the “item unplayable” 0xc00d36e5 error. There are several ways on how to fix the 0xc00d36e5 error without much hassle. You can use the Wondershare Repairit software or go with the VLC media player. You can also try clean-booting your device. We have also discussed how you can solve this issue by running SFC or DISM commands.
However, if you want a quick and hassle-free way to fix the 0xc00d36e5 error, then the Wondershare Repairit software is the best. It will provide quick results, and you can solve it within a few steps.