BitLocker data recovery is one of the most-demanded inquiries among users when it comes to encrypted drives. There are many situations in that you will require a data restore concerning BitLocker. For example, when you encounter problems with your computer or mistakenly format a part of your hard drive, specifically the part with encrypted data. There are also risks of losing files while reinstalling the PC, a virus attack, or a bad sector. Either way, any data recovery software that can help bring back your critical files can be pretty helpful.
In this brief, first, we check out some common causes that lead to data loss on BitLocker encrypted drives, then we render drive data recovery options for you to try.
Part 1. BitLocker Drive Encryption
BitLocker is a native feature of Windows that was first introduced in Vista and became an integral part of the Windows OS ever since. It supports full disk encryption by implementing the AES algorithm and CBS (Cipher Block Chaining). By encrypting an entire volume of the hard drive, the data becomes extremely secure. Users would need a 128 or 256-bit key to access it. You can also encrypt your drive by visiting the Control Panel > System and Security section.
Even though BitLocker has tons of advantages related to Security, it can also make your data inaccessible. If you are not able to decipher the code, then you can lose your data on the entire volume. Therefore, you would need to take the assistance of a third-party data recovery tool to recover files from a BitLocker encrypted drive in this case.
Decrypting your BitLocker Encrypted Drive can take a few minutes or a couple of hours depending on the amount of data you have in your drive.
Part 2. Common Causes of Data Loss on BitLocker Encrypted Drive
Some possible reasons can cause data to be lost in BitLocker-encrypted hard drives. Here are some common ones:
- Accidentally deleting the files from the BitLocker drive or even deleting or losing a BitLocker encrypted partition are both possible scenarios that can render your data being wiped out.
- Mistakenly formatting the BitLocker drive is another possible case. There're times when you aim to format another drive, but instead, you end up formatting the disk containing vital encrypted data.
- Virus attack: The data can get damaged or inaccessible if a virus or malware attacks your hard drive. In similar situations, the PC antivirus or firewall may block the disk, forcing you to format it. Consequently, the Windows firewall also removes BitLocker’s data.
- Bad sector in the BitLocker drive that results in inaccessible data. Your computer may become RAW because of bad sectors in the critical area of the hard drive. This also indicates that your hard drive is no longer formatted with a compatible file system like NTFS or FAT32. Therefore, data remains inaccessible, and the only possible solution is formatting, which may also lead to data loss.
- Lost BitLocker recovery key (aka password): The BitLocker recovery key is automatically generated while turning on the Bitloker feature on your drive. The encryption offered by this system keeps your PC safe, but there are some downsides to it as well. For instance, if you lose your BitLocker recovery key and forget where you put it, you may not be authorized to access the data and lose them for good. In every scenario, a BitLocker data recovery needs to be done.
Part 3. BitLocker Encrypted Drive Data Recovery
The BitLocker encryption is an added layer of security that encrypts a drive, and only people with the confirmed pass can gain access. As safe and practical as it is, this system can cause some headaches in time, which, as mentioned in the last section, can lead to data loss.
Recovery software is the best and most reliable choice regarding BitLocker data recovery. Because if your files are critical enough to get encrypted, therefore, you can't risk losing your precious data with unsafe and reckless methods.
Part 4. Recover BitLocker Encrypted Drive with Known Password
Wondershare Recoverit is a remarkable tool that offers the most result to retrieve lost files from BitLocker encrypted drive. With the assistance of this recovery program, you can once again get access to lost data from the encrypted drives, although you should still have a password or recovery key to open the encryption.
Video Tutorial on How to Recover Files from BitLocker Encrypted Drive
For Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10/11
For macOS X 10.10 - macOS 13
For Recoverit software to recover your data bake, you require the password or BitLocker recovery key. With that information in hand, you can bring back your lost data. You can also turn off BitLocker encryption first, and after recovering the data, turn it on again.
Recoverit Data Recovery Software: This is a known program available for online download that can restore various files and formats from many devices. With the help of Recoverit, get back your deleted files, photos, audio, music, emails, etc.
This versatile program supports many options and various storage devices. You can restore data from Recycle bin, a hard drive, a memory card, a flash drive, a digital camera, and camcorders. The lost files are retrievable using this effective tool if you face unintentional formatting, hard drive corruption, irreversible deletion, virus attack, or system crash.
In the following, we offer step-by-step instructions on how to recover a BitLocker encrypted drive with a known password:
- Step 1: Download and install Recoverit data recovery software on your computer freely.
For Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10/11
For macOS X 10.10 - macOS 13
- Step 2: Launch the Recoverit,and on the interface, select the "Deleted Files Recovery" option to start the data recovery process from BitLocker encrypted drive.
- Step 3:Select the location where your files have been stored. Then, click on the "Start" to begin your recovery operation. A compelling feature of Recoverit is showing a "preview" of lost files before starting, and you get to see a glance of your data before taking them back. This software is straightforward, and even inexperienced users can easily retrieve their data.
Part 5. Recover BitLocker Encrypted Drive while Forgetting The Password or Recovery Key
1. Find The Password
If you lose your password/PIN, forget it, or for some reason, Windows locks you out of the BitLocker encrypted drive, you can gain back access with the help of a BitLocker recovery key.
The BitLocker recovery key is a unique 48-digit code, which can be stored in a .bek file or a .txt file format inside another drive, in a USB flash, or else.
Without the password, using this recovery key, access the drive with simple steps:
- Double-click the drive to bring up the password window, or right-click on it and select “Unlock Drive," then click “More Options."
- Then choose the “Enter Recovery Key” option and type in your 48-digit code.
- Finally, click the “Unlock ."So, if you enter your recovery key correctly, you will unlock the encrypted drive, and you can access it once again.
Therefore, the best option to unlock BitLocker is to have the recovery key on a file, a Microsoft account, or a printed paper. You can also search your drives for a file called BitLocker recovery key.txt.
Read more: How to Unlock BitLocker Without Password and Recovery Key
2. Find The Recovery Key
Forgetting and losing the password is not the only situation in which you will need your recovery key.
Some acts can be alarming for Windows, and you be required to enter your recovery key to confirm your identity. Plenty of triggers can cause your system to get suspicious and demand the recovery key as a safety measure.
If you already don’t remember where you stored this particular key, you can search a few places to look for it.
Here is the list of the places you can check for the saved BitLocker Recovery:
- In your Microsoft account
- On a printout document
- On a USB flash drive
- In a Text File
- In an Active Directory
- In an Azure Active Directory account
- Using Command prompt
- Using PowerShell
It depends on where you saved this backup key while turning on the BitLocker encryption feature. Some people are more paranoid and don't even keep a paper trail or a USB on hand. Either way, without this key, the only possible solution is formating the drive and trying to restore the lost data later.
Read more: How to Find the BitLocker Recovery Key
With BitLocker encryption technology, you can keep your essential data safe and secure; however, some precautions must be considered, especially regarding the safe-keeping of your BitLocker recovery key or password/PIN.
BitLocker data recovery is a much-needed function. When encountering a situation of deleted data in an encrypted drive, effective software and other recommended methods can be quite helpful in bringing back lost data.
In the event that you have to reinstall your Window’s operating system to remove the encryption, data recovery tools like Wondershare Recoverit will help you restore data that was lost when you reinstalled the Operating system