Laptop Charger not Working: Find What is Wrong with Your Laptop’s Charger and the Method to Fix the Problem
"My Lenovo laptop's charger is not working? Early this morning, I tried to recharge my computer, but it failed to detect the adapter. Do I have to buy a new charger, or is there some solution to fix the problem?
The charger is the oxygen supplier of the laptop, and without it, you would not be able to carry on with your routine tasks. But sometimes some mishap or carelessness could result in the charger or the laptop's charging abilities to malfunction. If that is the case and you find the laptop charger not working at all, then read through our article as we will discuss every possible solution to reverse the issue.
Part 1: Why Is My Laptop Plugged in and Not Charging?
Whenever you connect the charger to your laptop, you will instantly receive an indication in the form of a beeping sound, or a dedicated LED installed inside the computer will light up. If that does not happen and you find the laptop not charger even after plugging in the charger, then there could be several factors behind such a problem. Here are some of them:
- A faulty adapter cable of the charger could not be providing enough power to the laptop;
- The old age of the charger and the battery;
- An issue with the power inlet of the computer;
- The outdatedness of the battery's driver.
All of the issues mentioned above are easily fixable, and you will find the solutions in the next section of the article.
Part 2: 4 Tips to Solve the Laptop Charger Not Working Issue
It doesn't matter if the issue with the charger not working on your laptop is related to hardware or software as the four handy solutions mentioned below will help in fixing and have your laptop's battery up and charging in no time:
- Troubleshoot Hardware Issue;
- Power Reset your Laptop;
- Update your Battery Driver;
- Update your BIOS.
1. Troubleshoot Hardware Issue:
Following are the ways to troubleshoot various hardware issue that could be causing the charger not to work:
- Plug the laptop's charger to different power outlets of the place where you are using the computer and see if charges. If yes, then there is something wrong with your room's power outlet. If no, you have to check the power cables and see whether they are faulty or not;
- Please remove the battery of the laptop from its respective compartment and connect it again after a full minuter. Connect the charger with the laptop and see if the charging LED of the laptop lights up or not.
2. Power Reset your Laptop:
The power reset of the laptop is the answer to most things. Sometimes the device needs a tuneup, and the power reset brings that to the table. Here is the method to hard reset the laptop:
- Remove the laptop's battery after shutting it down;
- Keep holding your laptop's power button for 30 seconds and then release it;
- Put the battery back into its compartment and start your laptop;
- Connect the charger as well and check whether the computer is charging or not.
3. Update your Battery Driver:
A recent Windows 10 update may have disrupted the battery's ability to detect the charger. It is mainly due to the incompatibility of the battery's driver with the new Windows update or because of its outdatedness. You can fix it by update the battery's driver through Windows Device Manager utility and here are the steps to do that:
- Open Device Manager by typing the name on the Windows search bar;
- Locate "Batteries" from the list and double click on it;
- Right-click on your battery's driver and click on "Update Driver" before proceeding to the next step;
- Click on "Search automatically for updated driver software" for the interface to do its job;
- Please wait for a few moments as the driver will get updated, close the window, and restart your laptop before plugging the charger to it to check whether the procedure worked or not.
4. Update your BIOS:
Updating the BIOS may fix several other issues, including the laptop not charging problem as well, but you would have to be very careful while performing it, as even a small misstep could result in data loss or something even worse, such as permanent damage to the motherboard. Here are the steps to update the BIOS of the laptop:
- Copy the relevant BIOS file to a USB;
- Click on the power button from the Start menu and hold the "Shift" key while clicking on the "Restart" option;
- You will see some options in front of a blue background, click on "Troubleshoot" and proceed;
- From the "Advanced Options," click on "UEFI Firmware Settings;"
- Click on "Restart," and the laptop will start to boot to BIOS;
- Follow the instructions after selecting to update the BIOS to complete the process.
Part 3: Laptop Charger Not Working – Recover Lost Data from the Laptop with Recoverit:
As discussed in the previous section, a procedure such as updating the BIOS could result in data loss. But luckily, Recoverit Data Recovery software has the potential to retrieve files from every possible circumstance thanks to its wide variety of unique features which are mentioned in the list below:
- A minor misstep while updating the BIOS could crash your laptop. But Recoverit's crash recovery feature will assist you in recovering every file you want from that crashed computer;
- It can recover permanently deleted files from the Recycle Bin folder without breaking a sweat;
- The application has the complete ability to read 1000+ file formats in every support system of both Windows, macOS, and external storage devices.
Here are the steps to perform data recovery with Recoverit:
Step 1. Select a Location:
Run the application on your laptop and select any folder you like from the interface from which you wish to recover data. Click on "Start" after that.
Step 2. Scan the Location:
After hitting the start button, the recovery scan will begin, and you will be required to wait a few minutes for the scan to finish. The timeline of the scan depends on the volume of lost data. Recoverit's interface permits you to stop/pause the scanning process to check the progress of data recovery. It will notify you after finishing the scan.
Step 3. Preview and Recover Files:
The preview section of Recoverit will allow you to view and verify the legitimacy of the files. Once you are satisfied with the outcome, carefully select the data you wish to retrieve and click on the "Recover" button to save the restored files.
The battery and the charger will give you some indication of malfunctioning before entirely giving up from doing their job. It is recommended to check the health of the battery and the charger constantly to avoid any such issue.
In this article, we have discussed every possible way to help in fixing the charger, not the working problem. We hope that at least one of them helped in reviving your battery and charger. Other than that, we also showed you the process of recovering data with Recoverit if any such solution resulted in some data loss on the computer.
People Also Ask
How can I fix my laptop charger port?
The most reliable solution is to change the cable for the power port. Get this port cable online and replace it yourself if you can handle a little tech work. If you can't, seek for a tech expert to fix it for you.
How do I know if my laptop battery or charger is bad?
To figure this out, remove your battery while the charger is still connected to the laptop. If the laptop doesn't go off, then the bad element is the battery. If the laptop goes off even with the charger plugged in, then the charger is most likely the culprit.
Why is my laptop changing between charging and not charging?
This can be caused by a loose port. This is especially if you change the charging states of the laptop in fast succession. If the battery driver or power manager is faulty, this problem could arise.
- Win System Crash
- Windows Tips
- Computer Problems
- Blue Screen Errors