Transcend has been in the HDD storage industry for decades. The company's HDDs have stored petabytes of precious memories, and Transcend has built a solid reputation over the years. However, these drives are not immune to failure and can experience data loss like any other disk drive.
Today, we'll show you how to use Transcend recovery software. We'll explore various file loss scenarios and provide troubleshooting methods for undetected disk drives. You'll also see detailed steps on recovering vital data with Transcend's external hard drive repair tool and a third-party app.
Table of Content
Transcend External Hard Drive Data Loss Scenarios
Various issues can cause data loss on external Transcend hard drives. However, the following ones are the most common:
- Undetected External Drives - A drive that doesn't display on a PC isn't technically a form of data loss, but it's still an issue. You'll still need to troubleshoot why it's happening and fix the problem to access your precious external HDD files.
- Accidentally Deleted Data - Whether you've mistakenly removed something you didn't want to delete or accidentally formatted the entire drive, data loss is often caused by human error. Data recovery tools make this an easily fixable mistake.
- Corrupted Drive Files - File corruption is a common issue for disk drives that aren't used often but also for those that are constantly utilized between devices supporting different file types. Viruses and malware can also cause this problem.
- Physically Damaged Device - While they often have excellent enclosures, external Transcend hard drives can be physically damaged by falling or hitting a hard object. Since they have numerous moving parts, such HDDs can easily break and lead to data loss.
Data recovery is possible in all situations except physically damaged disk drives. If so, you'll need to take your external HDD to a professional repair shop, which can be costly and isn't always successful, depending on the damage.
What To Do if Your Transcend External Hard Drive Isn't Detected
Unrecognized USB devices are a common problem that stops users from recovering files. Fortunately, most of the solutions for fixing undetected disk drives boil down to the following:
Troubleshoot Your Connection
A broken, bent, or slightly unplugged cable is the primary culprit behind undetected external hard drives, and it should be the first thing you look into when troubleshooting such an issue.
You must thoroughly inspect your Transcend HDD's cable, ensuring there are no cuts or points where the cable was twisted. Once done, you should unplug and plug the cable back in on both ends, and you can also test it out on another PC.
If you've checked your external HDD's cable and are sure it's okay, you can move on to another common culprit - outdated drivers. You'll need to download the latest version of Transcend's USB driver from the company's website, install it on your PC, restart the computer, and try again. Alternatively, you can use the Windows Device Manager tool to locate the problematic USB driver, uninstall it, and then restart your PC to let it reinstall the driver.
Update Your OS
Regularly updating your operating system and downloading the latest security patches is highly recommended for keeping your PC running properly. In this case, it can also help avoid situations with drive detection. Fortunately, you can quickly fix the problem by navigating to Windows Update, downloading the latest ones, and restarting your PC after installing the updates to let them apply.
How To Recover Data From a Transcend Hard Drive
Once you've successfully connected the Transcend external hard drive to your computer, you can move on to recovering lost files from it. There are a few ways to do this, and multiple tools are available, but the two below stand out from the rest.
Way 1. Use a Professional Data Recovery Solution
A dedicated data recovery tool is your safest bet when dealing with lost files. Most often, today's recovery apps use advanced recovery algorithms that can safely scan your disk drives without damaging files further or reducing the chances of data recovery.
Wondershare Recoverit is an excellent example of such a tool, and it makes recovering deleted photos, videos, music, documents, and many other files from a Transcend storage device incredibly straightforward.
- Recovers data from 2000+ storage media, including HDDs, SSDs, USB drives, SD cards, etc.
- Enables recovery of data lost due to formatting, disk corruption, virus attack, and more.
- Compatible with various hard drive file systems, including exFAT, FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, APFS, EXT4, etc.
Using it is also simple, as file recovery only takes a few steps and minutes. Here's what you'll need to do:
- Open Wondershare Recoverit and choose Hard Drives and Locations.
- Click on the Transcend drive, regardless of whether it's an internal or external disk and HDD or SSD. The app will commence an all-around scan for lost data.
- The app lets you adjust various file filters and add keywords to look for specific files.
- When it finds files, Wondershare Recoverit will let you preview them to ensure they are the ones you want.
- If you're satisfied with the preview, click Recover to save the found files to your PC.
Accidentally deleted files and formatted drives will never again be a problem with Wondershare Recoverit by your side. Even if data loss is caused by other factors like system crashes, interrupted file transfers, or malware, this app has your back, as it supports more than 500 data loss situations, making file recovery incredibly straightforward regardless of how it happened.
Way 2. Use Transcend RecoveRx
Users with Transcend external HDDs can also use the company's freeware app, RecoveRx, to retrieve deleted data like documents, photos, music, and videos. This Transcend Recovery Software can save formatted data from Transcend SD cards, USB flash drives, internal and external HDDs and SSDs.
Here's how you can recover deleted files from a Transcend external drive with RecoveRx:
- Download and install the RecoveRx app.
- Open it by hitting the Windows key and searching for RecoveRx.
- Once inside the app, choose the Recover option.
- Select your Transcend drive from the list, input a save location, and hit Next.
- Select the type of files you want the app to search for and hit Start.
- Wait for the app to search and recover data.
- Once done, you'll see a recovery result window with the number and type of recovered files and their folder. Hit Close.
It's worth noting that Transcend's RecoveRx also works for Macs, including macOS 10.7 and later versions. The app supports 56 of the most widely used file types, including 16 photo, 19 video, 12 document formats, and nine others for music files.
How to Avoid Transcend Hard Disk Data Loss
While the abovementioned data recovery apps are excellent at retrieving lost files, preventing data loss is still better than treating it, and you can use the following tips to reduce the chances of a severe data loss wiping your vital files:
- Create Frequent Backups - Regularly backing up vital data is critical to preventing data loss, and various dedicated third-party tools like Wondershare UBackit can help you with this task.
- Use a Reliable Antivirus Tool - Malware is often the cause behind encrypted files, corrupted data, and file deletion. Installing a proper anti-malware app can prevent this, keeping your files safe and secure.
- Keep Your PC Updated - Staying up-to-date with the latest Windows updates and app versions ensures the PC's proper functioning. Updates can patch security holes to prevent viruses and malware, remove issues with unrecognized and undetected devices, and improve the overall performance of your system.
Combining these practices will significantly reduce the chances of hard disk data loss happening to you, but even if it does happen, you'll be ready with the abovementioned tools.
Millions of customers use Transcend storage media to store precious memories and keep sensitive data, but these drives aren't immune to damage. Data loss can always happen, and in the case of Transcend external hard drive, it's often caused by accidentally deleted files, data corruption, physical drive damage, or bad cable connection.
Getting your files back often involves troubleshooting the issues behind undetected Transcend hard drive. These steps usually include unplugging and plugging your cable, updating drivers, and downloading the latest Windows updates. You can then use Transcend's data recovery tool or a third-party data recovery app like Wondershare Recoverit to retrieve your lost files.