You can compare your digital USB partitions to your storage drawers – no matter how much you organize them, they are always somehow clustered and messy. You may not have enough organizers or have too many that take up space but serve no purpose.
And once you open your digital storage, you may not be able to find what you need and may face a larger issue. If so, you are in the right place. We will teach you how to reorganize and delete USB partitions for a better storage journey.
However, you should remember to take out your stuff from the digital drawers to avoid potential data loss. The guide below will dive deep into data backup and partition deletion.
In this article
What Are USB Partitions?
USB partitions imply splitting your hard drive into separate readable units. Once you insert your external USB device into your computer, it will read it separately. As shown in the introduction, you can consider partitions as organizers in the physical world. If you are organizing your drawers or other storage units, you may put dividers to know where your valuables are stored.
The same goes for the virtual realm. Partitions will help you categorize and organize your data according to their type, importance, and personal preferences.
Why Remove Partitions From a USB Drive?
Although partitions can be great for categorizing and organizing data, they may sometimes represent excess and stand in the way between you and an organized USB drive. Let’s take a closer look at some of the most common reasons why you may decide to delete USB partitions:
- Decluttering – you may have created too many partitions that don’t make your drive more organized, so you may want to delete some partitions for a better journey.
- Free up space – sometimes, the things you have stored on a specific partition are no longer usable. If so, you can delete the whole partition to save yourself some time and space.
- Repair – your partition may become corrupted or RAW, and one of the best methods you can try is deleting the whole partition and starting from scratch.
[Bonus]Backup Your Data Using Wondershare Recoverit Before Deleting Partitions on Your USB
Before you start your deletion journey, you should ensure your data is safe. The partition deletion will permanently remove files from your storage, and you may want to avoid possible data loss scenarios. You may delete the wrong part, so it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
You need a third-party software solution such as Wondershare Recoverit to back up and recover your data. This program is one of the most successful data recovery tools on the market, guaranteed to regain your valuable data. Even if your USB drive has become corrupted, you can still retrieve and back your files up before deleting the partitions.
The best part is that you can recover all types of files and data on all computers, regardless of the operating system. Wondershare Recoverit is one of the most versatile recovery tools available. You can also use it for other recovery processes and keep it as a backup plan for the best data experience.
To recover and back up your data from the USB drive, follow the guide below:
- Download Wondershare Recoverit and run the program.
- Select Hard Drives and Locations from the available recovery options.
- Insert your USB drive.
- Select the drive from the list of available options.
- The program will start scanning for files on the drive. You can pause the process if Wondershare Recoverit discovers all the data you want to retrieve.
- You can preview the files to make sure everything is in place. Select what you want to retrieve and click the Recover button.
- Select where you want to save the recovered files.
It will only take you a few minutes to recover your data, but these few minutes can save your valuable memories.
2 Methods for Removing Partitions From a USB Drive
Now that you have successfully recovered and backed up your data, you can head to the deletion process. We have prepared the two most reliable and trustworthy methods you can try. Both are highly successful, and you can choose the one that best fits your preferences and style.
Let’s see how to remove partitions from a USB drive.
DiskPart is a command used to control your storage. This command lets you delete, repair, format, and manage your storage. You can also control partitions, which we will use for this method. Here’s how to use DiskPart to delete partitions from your USB drive:
- Search for Command Prompt or cmd and select Run as Administrator.
- Once you open the program, type in diskpart and press Enter.
- Type in the list disk command and press Enter.
- Find your USB drive from the list of available options and remember its name.
- Type in select disk N, where the N will be the number of your USB drive, and press Enter.
- Next, type in the list partition command and press Enter to view available partitions.
- Find the partition you want to delete and remember the name.
- Input select partition N, where N will be the number of the wanted partition, and press Enter.
- Input delete partition and press Enter.
- Type exit and press Enter once the deletion process is done.
After completing this process, the wanted partition will be deleted. Make sure to select the correct partition to delete to avoid further issues.
Using Disk Management
As the name suggests, Disk Management is an integrated tool that allows you to manage and control your disks and drives, including internal and external devices. This tool can format, reformat, manage, delete, and create partitions on your existing devices.
This tool may be simpler to use than the abovementioned one since it is easier to navigate. If you would prefer to use this method to delete partitions from your USB drive, here’s what you should do:
- Search for Disk Management on your computer and open the program.
- Find your USB drive from the available options and select it.
- Discover the partition you want to delete and right-click on it.
- Select Delete Volume from the drop-down menu and press Yes to delete it.
- The empty space will be defined as Unallocated space.
After this process, you will successfully delete the unwanted partition from your USB drive.
If you use a USB device to store your digital valuables and want to free up space on it, you are in the right place. You can delete partitions containing the data you don’t need anymore to declutter your USB flash drive. As we have presented above, there are numerous other reasons why you may want to delete partitions.
Before you start deleting the partition, it’s essential to back up your data to avoid accidental deletion, and we have presented one of the best tools to help you with this process. Then, you can choose a method for deleting your USB partitions from the list above.
Can I delete partitions without data loss?Unfortunately, you cannot delete partitions without deleting the content stored in it. Everything from the partition will be lost with it. That’s why you should always back up your data beforehand with the help of Recoverit and avoid data loss.
What is the best tool for deleting partitions?The best, most reliable tools you can use to delete partitions from your USB drive are DiskPart and Disk Management. These tools are responsible for the best disk management experience, including partition deletion.
What should I do if I delete the wrong partition?If you have many partitions on your USB flash drive, the chances of deleting the wrong one are high. Deleting the wrong partition may be stressful, but don’t worry. You can use third-party software solutions like Wondershare Recoverit to get your data back. You can then use DiskPart or Disk Management to create a new partition and return your data to your USB drive.