How to Fix C Drive is Full issue in Windows 11/10
Is your C drive full and you've been looking for a way to fix it? Look no further as the information in this piece has all the tips you will ever need to fix a full C drive issue in Windows 10.
Overview of C drive full Issue
A full C drive means that the internal storage on your hard disk can no longer take in any more data or it can only take limited data. When C drive is full, a window will pop up to show a low disk space alert. Different computer OS alert users differently but the problem remains the same. For Windows 7,10 and XP, an alert pop will appear as
- Windows XP ( You are running out of disk space on local disk) Click here to free up space
- Windows 7 and 10 will display an alert using the diagram below. (Notice the red bar)
8 Tips to Fix C Drive is Full on Windows
Here are 8 ways to fix a full C drive space on Windows 11/10
Tip 1. Delete Junk Files with Storage sense
Storage sense provides Windows 11 users a stress-free way to erase unwanted files from their internal and secondary files. To rid your drives of unwanted files
- Open system settings
- Select systems
- Click Storage
- Click "Change mode to free up data" under storage sense
- Check "Delete temporary files applications are not using"
- Use Recycle Bin menu to modify how files should be cleared
- Use the Download menu to clear files downloaded online
- Under "Locally available cloud section content" specify how long your device should be synced with One drive
- In the Free up disk space now category, download the previous Windows version if it applies. If yes, free up as much space as you can
- Click on Clean Now to clean
This will clean unwanted files from your drive
Click here to check the full guide on how to free up space on C drive. If you accidentally erase any important files, don't worry, as there are multiple methods available to recover deleted files from C drive.
Tip 2. Remove temporary files with Disk Cleanup
Storage Sense happens to be an upgraded version of Disk Cleanup but Disk Cleanup still works well in maintaining the health of your disk space. To remove temporary files with Disk Cleanup, follow the tips below
- Open Startup menu
- Search to open Disk Cleanup. Select the icon to open
- Use Drives drop the key to select your device' C: drive
- Tap OK
- Click Cleanup files
- Use Drives menu to select device' C: drive
- Tap Ok
- Check for contents you wish to remove which may include (Temporary online files, downloads, Windows defender anti-virus system Windows, X Shader cache) and any other irrelevant item
- Use the "Drives" menu to select the device' (C:) drive.
- Tap OK
- Click on "Delete Files" to delete
10 Ways to Free Up Disk Space
Top 5 Hard Drive Disk Formatters for Mac
Tip 3. Uninstall Games and Apps you don't need
Uninstalling apps and games that you no longer have any need for is another method you can adopt to free up drive C. To execute this action
- Open System Settings
- Select Apps
- Click Apps and Features
- Use filter sorting to select the Size. This will aid a quick view of all games and apps on your hard drive
- Select all items you want to uninstall
- Click Uninstall button to remove them
- Click Uninstall icon again
This process will clear out your C drive of games and apps you no longer need.
Click the Uninstall button again.
- Continue with screen directions (when necessary)
After completing the steps, repeat the instructions to remove additional games and apps from your device.
Tip 4. Migrate file, games, and apps to an external drive
If you still have limited disk space, connect and save files such as games, apps, and documents to external drives like a USB flash drive. Shoold you need any of them in the future you can always connect your drive to your PC to access them
Here are the steps
- Open your File Explorer
- Identify the items you wish to migrate
- Click Home section
- Click move button
- Choose location
- Pick a new location
- Select "Move"
- These steps will have to be repeated for all files you wish to move to a new location. From an external drive, you can always launch your apps and games when you need to
- Rescue your deleted or lost file due to accidental deletion, system errors, data corruption, virus attack, and system crash with one click
- Restore various types of files in different storage devices like SD card, hard drive, internal storage, pen drives, etc.
- Selective recovery with 100% success rate
Tip 5. Disable Hibernation on Windows 10
Windows Hibernation is the feature that allows you to perform the device shut down without losing current data. Whenever you restart the system you can continue where you stopped. Although this feature is cool, it tends to take up a lot of space in system memory. Disabling hibernation will create space for storing vital files. Here is how it is done
- Open Start
- Navigate to Command Prompt and right-click on the result at the top. Choose Run as system' admin.
- Input this code "powercfg / hibernate off"
After this command, your device will no longer hibernate. You can enable this feature by undoing the command whenever you please by inputting "powercfg /hibernate on"
Tip 6. Compress Windows Installation to free up space
Compact OS is a compression tool used to reduce application and Installation footprints in Windows 10. This feature is often reserved for systems with low storage but it can be used to free up space on your hard drive. Note that an incorrect modification may cause terrible damages so be very careful when using this option. Consider backing up your files first before you commence.
To compress Windows Installation,
- Open start
- Open command prompt and right click top results to pick Run as admin
- Input this command and tap enter afterward
Compact.exe /compactOS: always
This process will release about 2GB of space.
- If you don't want this feature anymore revert changes with the same steps but enter this code "compactOS:never " instead.
Tip 7. Free up space storing files in the cloud
Do you know that you can store your files in the cloud just like you can with an external drive? The fear of losing your vital files shouldn't scare you since you can always access them whenever you want. One way to save files online is to enable OneDrive files on-demand with the steps listed below
- Click OneDrive icon at the bottom of the Taskbar
- Click More option
- Click Settings Option
- Click the Setting tab
- Check Save space under File on-demand category and download files option
- Click OK button
These steps will enable you to move files to the OneDrive folder using Files on Demand. The more files you save on the cloud in place of your hard drive the more space that will free upon your disc
Bonus Top: Understanding what's taking space on a hard drive
As a tip, we preview some of the things that may be taking up space on your hard drive. Knowing these items will help you manage your hard disk space better. To view them, follow the steps below
- Open System settings
- Select System
- Click Storage
- Under the local storage category, choose the "drive low on space". For the latest Windows 10 update click Show more section
- View storage to see what is taking up space
- Tick all the categories to view details and take appropriate action as you deem fit
All the steps noted so far are smart ways to decongest drive C: but do make sure that you use the step that guarantees you the best results. A combination of more than one step may be necessary to create space in your drive.
People Also Ask
How can I free up space on my C drive?
You can free up space on your C drive by deleting unnecessary files, uninstalling unused programs, using disk cleanup tools, and moving files to an external storage device.
What are the consequences of having a full C drive?
A full C drive can lead to slower computer performance, difficulty installing new programs or updates, and potential data loss if the drive becomes too full to function properly.
Can I move files from my C drive to another drive to free up space?
Yes, you can move files from your C drive to another drive, such as a D drive or an external storage device, to free up space and improve the performance of your computer.
How can I prevent my C drive from getting full in the future?
You can prevent your C drive from getting full in the future by regularly cleaning up unnecessary files, using external storage for large files, and being mindful of the programs and files you install on your computer.
- Partition Management
- Solve Partition Problems
- Partition Tips