"Can anyone please tell me how to recover deleted Snapchat photos? I have lost all of my Snapchat photos and want to know how to get my snaps back." -- Questions from Quora
If you also mistakenly delete Snapchat photos that weren't backed up from your computer or phone, you may wondering where do deleted snaps go and what to do if you want to get a deleted Snapchat picture back. Then you have come to the right place. This article will tell you how to retrieve Snapchat photos in no time with or without a photo recovery tool.
Snapchat allows you to send pictures and videos to your friends. The only disadvantage for any Snapchat user is that they won't save their Snapchat photos or videos. Once the recipient views the photos and videos, they are automatically deleted by Snapchat. This makes people always have trouble.
Does Snapchat Save Photos?
You may think that once snaps expire on Snapchat, they get permanently deleted, but that is not the case. Your photos are actually hidden in your phone's or computer's cache and are not eliminated.
Snapchat claims that once photos are expired or viewed, they are automatically deleted. However, when you share a photo with someone on Snapchat, it is first passed through the Snapchat server before reaching the other device.
This means that your photos can be held on Snapchat's server for up to 30 days. Additionally, you can check the following methods to see how are Snapchat pictures saved on the phone:
- Screenshots: If somebody sends you a snap, it can be saved by taking a screenshot. However, the other person will be notified that you have taken a screenshot.
- Stories: If you have uploaded a photo to your Snapchat story, it will remain visible for only 24 hours. But, if you submit it to a "Local Stor" or "Live Story," you will permit Snapchat to save it so that you can view it again.
- Memories: If you save pictures in the "Memories" section (archive), they will never disappear and can be accessed anytime.
Can You Recover Photos from Snapchat on PC?
Yes, you can easily recover Snapchat photos if you lose or accidentally delete them from your computer, which means your Snapchat photos have been saved on your computer but get lost. All you need to do is to restore from the recycle bin or use a photo recovery software.
But if you don't save Snapchat photos to your pc before, then you can try to recover these photos on your phone.
To recover deleted Snapchat photos on your Android phone or iPhone, you can do that by following several methods. However, before you dive into the photo recovery solutions, check whether you have saved the pictures in Snapchat Memories or not.
- Saved in the Memories section: You can easily retrieve them by going to your Snapchat home and swiping up to access saved pictures.
- Not saved: Take other measures to recover your phone photos. You can check your linked cloud account or your phone's cache to get back deleted Snapchat pictures, and you can even take the assistance of a Snapchat photo recovery tool.
If you want to know about the best Snapchat photo recovery tool on the internet, then this part will surely guide you towards it. The best Snapchat picture recovery app is Recoverit Photo Recovery software. This kind of Snapchat recovery app can recover deleted or lost photos, videos, and audio files from the Windows computer and MacBook within a few clicks. It has easy to use interface, and you will face no complications while using it because of its advanced process of recovering Snapchat data.
If you have accidentally deleted your photos, here is how you can recover them. You can explore more from Wondershare Video Community.
Step 1: Choose a location to start finding data
Select a drive where you lost your Snapchat photos from the list of drives from the computer screen. You need to click on the "Start" button now.
Step 2: Scan the location
The program starts to deeply search for your lost or deleted photos via an all-around scan on the computer hard drive.
Step 3: Preview and recover deleted photos
Finally, you need to preview and select the photos that you want to recover. You can just choose the files and click on the "Recover" button to start the data recovery process. This time you need to save the files on another drive instead of saving them on the same drive where you lost them before.
Some Tips During Snapchat Recovery
- Don't hurry up and have patience until every step is executed properly.
- While choosing the drive for a quick scan, choose the right drive; otherwise, you won't find your Snapchat photos.
- Preview all the photos before you recover them.
- Don't save the photos again on the same drive.
If you don't know how to get Snapchat pictures back and these photos are not stored on the computer, then you can easily try to recover Snapchat pictures that weren't backed up on your phone. With the below guideline's help, you can retrieve Snapchat photos on your Android phone and iPhone.
Case 1: How to Find Deleted Android Snaps on Computer?
You can easily find snaps on the computer. If you have used the photos from your Android phone or iPhone gallery, you can connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable and then find deleted snaps on the computer. Here is how to do it for Android phones.
- First, open the Android storage folder on your computer after connecting your phone to your PC. Look for the messages folder by navigating to Data > com. snapchat. android.
- There will be some folders and subfolders inside the folder. You need to look into these folders and find the files that have the ".nomedia" extension. These files are always invisible to you when you are trying to access them from your phone. You can find the lost Snapchat messages here easily.
- Choose all the files with this extension and remove the ".nomedia" extension by renaming them. You will be able to see the thumbnails and access all the Snapchat photos now.
Case 2: Recover Snapchat Photos on Android Phone
The best thing about Android devices is that it keeps cache memory of apps in the phone memory or SD card, which makes Snapchat photo recovery possible. The cache files are invisible on the folders, so you can easily recover your Snapchat photos using Android cache files. Here is how you can easily recover Snapchat photos on an Android phone.
Recover photos from Android Cache files:
- Open the Android device's file manager and navigate to the folder Android > data.
- You will find a list of all the application that exists on your device. Open the folder "com.snapchat.android" and then open the cache folder.
- Now you will find all your deleted Snapchat photos in the "received_image_snaps" folder. All you need to do is to access and retrieve the lost photos.
- The Snapchat photos in the folder are appended to .nomedia extension. Press and hold the photo you want to recover, then remove the extension by rename it.
Related: What if the recovered photos are corrupted? Repair corrupted images easily and quickly.
Part 4: How to Perform Snapchat Picture Recovery on iPhone?
Case 1: Check the Snapchat Memories
When you wish to recover deleted snaps on iPhone, it is recommended to check first if your deleted photos or videos are in the Snapchat Memories. Memories within the Snapchat app allow you save snapchat photos, videos, and stories. So, you are able to find and get deleted Snapchat photos back from the Memories.
How to recover photos from Snapchat Memories:
- Open Snapchat on your iPhone and swipe up from Camera screen to enter the Memories interface
- Under the Snaps tab, you can find all your saved Snapchat photos and videos. View and check if your desired one is there.
- If you have found the photos you want to restore, then pressing and holding it. A operation memu will show up. Choose Export > Download to save the photos to your iPhone.
If you failed to recover your Snapchat photos from Memories, the pictures may have been permanently deleted. In this case, You will need to jump into the following three solutions.
Case 2: Recover Deleted Snaps by Submitting A Request to The Snapchat Server
As mentioned above, your Snaps are sent via Snapchat server. Therefore, Snapchat provides you with the chance to download your data, including Snap history, saved chat history, memories, account history, and some other informations, by submitting a request.
How to recover photos from Snapchat data:
- Open Snapchat on your iPhone. Then, hit the Setting icon at the right top of the screen. You will need to scroll to bottom and select the My Data option.
- You will be required to Log in to Snapchat
- After logging in, you'll see all data that is available for download in the My Data interface. Scroll down to the bottom and tap on Submit Request.
- In one or two days, you will receive an Email from Snapchat team with a download link for all your Snapchat data attached.
Case 3: Recover Snapchat Photos from iCloud Backup
If you have already backed up your Snapchat messages in your iCloud storage or enabled iCloud syncing on your iPhone, you can get Snapchat pictures back easily. This method will need you to restore your iPhone fully, so you need to back up your iPhone first. Here is how to do it. Alternatively, you can use a iPhone photo and video recovery software that supports iPhone data recovery from iCloud without rooting.
Restore Snaps from iCloud Backup:
- First, go to iPhone Settings > General > Reset. Then select "Erase All Content and Settings."
- It would help if you restarted the iPhone and tap on "Restore from iCloud backup" from the "Apps & Data" screen.
- Finally, you need to select the backup file from iCloud that contains all your Snapchat photos, and the backup will be restored on your iPhone.
More Related: What Is Synology Cloud Station and How to Use It
Case 4: Recover Snapchat Pictures from iTunes Backup
You may have backed up your iPhone data with iTunes. Then, you can restore your Snapchat photos from the iTunes backup. However, like restoring from iCloud, the Snapchat photo recovery from iTunes backup will overwrite your current iPhone data, which may cause losing other important files. To keep your data safe, you can use a iPhone photo and video recovery software that supports iPhone data recovery from iTunes without rooting.
Restore Snaps from iTunes Backup:
- First, go to iPhone Settings > General > Reset. Then select "Erase All Content and Settings."
- Tap on "Restore from iTunes backup" from the "Apps & Data" screen.
- Finally, select the backup file from iTunes that contains all your Snapchat photos, and click Restore to bring the Snaps to your iPhone.
Recover lost or deleted photos & videos from any storage device effectively, safely, and completely.
Supports to recover data for sudden deletion, formatting, hard drive corruption, virus attack, system crash under different situations.
In Advanced Video Recovery mode, it automatically scans, collects, and matches video fragments for large-sized video recovey.
It can assist you in the repair of damaged, truncated, and broken video.
Some Tips During Snapchat Recovery:
- Follow the instructions properly and step by step.
- Choose the options wisely, as described in every step.
- Keep your phone backed up always.
- Have the patience to finish the process properly.
Once you have successfully recovered Snapchat photos on your device, make sure you save them to a safe location where you can access them easily without any hassle. You can also follow the tips below for other frequently asked questions about Snapchat.
1. How to Access Snapchat on PC?
Snapchat is a social media application specially designed for smartphones. Unfortunately, you cannot get this photo-sharing application on your computer.
Initially, you could use emulators to open the application, but Snapchat has recently banned using the application through emulators. So there is no other alternative left for using Snapchat on your computer.
2. How to Recover Snapchat Account?
Losing a Snapchat account can be extremely devastating, especially if you have all your private chats and photos in there. So if you are wondering, "can you recover a deleted Snapchat account" you can do that by following different methods below for different situations:
Forgot Your Password
Sometimes, you have forgotten your Snapchat account password, but you can easily recover it by opening the app and clicking on the "forgot your password" option. You will get to choose how you want to reset your password through email or SMS? It's able to choose either one of the options.
If you select the email option, a reset password link will be sent to your email id. Or you choose the phone option, a temporary OTP (one-time-password) will be sent to you, which you can enter on your Snapchat account and then set a new password.
Forgot Email ID
If you have forgotten your email id and password, you can type in your Snapchat username and follow the point mentioned above to reset your password through SMS or call.
Suppose you still could not recover the Snapchat account, you can list all your invalid email addresses and use the recovery by email option. Then, enter all your email ids one by one. The invalid emails will result in an error saying, "Email address is invalid" Keep entering the emails until you find the right one to recover your account.
Change Snapchat Password
Once you find out that your Snapchat account has been hacked, but you can still access your account, you should immediately change your password. However, if you cannot open your Snapchat account via phone or email id, you must contact Snapchat Support.
To protect your Snapchat account, it is wise to use "Two Factor Authentication" Every time you log in. It will prompt Snapchat to request an OTP. This helps to reduce the chances of being hacked.
3. How to Back up Snapchat Photos?
There are several ways to backup Snapchat Photos. If you want to know how to backup photos on Snapchat, you can do that by simply saving your photos in "Memories" It is Snapchat's cloud storage system that lets you save all the images.
To backup photos in Memories, first, open Snapchat, find the setting, and tap on it, then scroll down to "Memories" and check the "Auto-Save My Stor" option. You can also select "Save to" and then choose "Memories & Camera Roll" or "Camera Roll Only."
If you have saved your snaps in the Camera Roll or the Photos app, you can sync them to other cloud storage systems like Google Photos, iCloud, Dropbox, and more. This will enable you to backup all your pictures safely.
After reading this article, you must know that it is possible to recover deleted snaps and pictures on your Snapchat. It would help if you trusted there is always a way to help you solve problems. Finally, we believe that to protect your Snapchat photos, it will be a good option to have the snaps on one device or a cloud server. Hence, it will be less risky in data loss. Another tip is that you can recover video files too.
People Also Ask
Can you retrieve deleted Snapchat memories?
You can follow many easy steps to recover your deleted Snapchat Memories back from any device like Android or iOS, as well as your computer. Here are some of the methods for retrieving deleted snaps: Cache files on Android, Cloud storage options like Google Photos.
Can you download Snapchat on a computer?
No, you cannot download Snapchat on a computer. It is a social media application that is designed for smartphones.
You can try using emulators to use Snapchat on your computer, but there is a possibility that they would not work efficiently. On top of that, Snapchat has banned the use of emulators.
Is there a way to recover Snapchats?
Your deleted Snapchat messages might be stored on your device's memory, inside the files with the '.nomedi' extension. Basically, this type of data is invisible to other applications.
However, you can find your deleted Snapchat messages by clicking on each file with the '.nomedi' extension and renaming the files. This will enable you to view the thumbnails and access deleted Snapchat messages.
How do you recover a deleted Snapchat?
The most effective and reliable method to recover a deleted Snapchat is to use a recovery tool like Recoverit that helps you to scan all your data and get back your deleted Snapchat instantly. Notice: Recoverit can only help you recover deleted Snapchat photos if you have stored these photos on your computer.
You can also use other recovery solutions such as recovering data from the cache file, recovering from cloud storage systems, and more.
How does Snapchat work?
Snapchat is a popular messaging application that allows users to exchange messages, videos, and pictures (called snaps) that usually self-destruct once viewed.
To begin a conversation on Snapchat, all you need to do is tap on the big camera circle on your smartphone's screen, take a snap, and send it to your friends.
You can also customize your snaps using different photo editing tools in the application and then add them to your story, which stays on your account for 24 hours.