A hard drive, especially when it is new, needs to undergo formatting before files are dumped on it. It's an important task to make sure that the drive is functional and completely clean, without any malicious code or malware that can harm personal files and consequently put installation and operation under damage.
When you format your hard disk on Windows 10, all data is wiped out, meanwhile the file system, such as FAT32, NTFS, xFAT, is also erased. Therefore, if you want to transfer your file sytem from one to another, get down to wipe the hard drive completely.
In this article, I am going to tell how to format your Windows hard drive through two excellent methods. Scroll to explore it.
Format Hard Drive in Windows 10 with Windows Disk Management
A hard drive with partition configured already can just undergo the format to erase the data and make it a 'clean' drive.
Here are the steps to format the partition with Disk Management
- On the Start menu, type Disk Management on the search bar and click on the top result to run the program.
- On the Disk Management window, select the new hard drive and right-click on it. Select Format.
- Type in a descriptive name for the hard drive in the field Value label.
- In the File System dropdown menu, select NFTS, the recommended file type for Windows 10.
- Select Default in the dropdown menu for the Allocation unit size.
- Tick the Perform a quick format (Note: quick format does not check for damages in the drive. To make sure that there are no bad sectors, clear the option and perform a full format.)
- Clear Enable file and folder compression if necessary, and select OK.
- A warning prompt will appear, click OK to proceed.
- Wait for the format to complete.
Here are the steps to using Disk Management to create and format a new partition
- Run Disk Management and find on the list the drive labeled "Unknown" or "Not Initialized". Right-click the drive and select Initialize Disk.
- Check the disk to be initialized.
- Select the right partition style: for hard drives <2TB in size, choose Master Boot Record (MBR); for drives with size >2TB, choose GUID Partition Table (GPT). Select OK.
- Right-click on the Unallocated space, and choose New Simple Volume, and then press Next.
- If you want to use the full size of the drive to save files, leave the Simple volume size in MB in its default value as indicated. Otherwise, specify the size you want the partition to have. Select Next.
- To select a drive letter, choose one from the dropdown menu after you tick the Assign the following drive letter.Click Next.
- Select NFTS from the File system dropdown menu.
- Select Default on the Allocation unit size
- Type a descriptive name in the space for Valuable label.
- Tick Perform a quick format. Otherwise, untick to perform a full format (which takes considerably longer depending on drive size).
- Clear the Enable file and folder compression if necessary and click Next.
Are you aware of the steps to wipe your hard drive and disk partition completely through dsik management right now? You can read on to find the other method.
How to Format Hard Drive using PowerShell commands
Formatting a hard drive can also be done using PowerShell for Windows 10. Here are the steps to do so:
- Open Start menu or press Win + X and select the PowerShell (Admin) to run the program as administrator.
- On the command line, type Get-Disk and hit Enter
- To clean the hard drive, type in the command Get-Disk <disk number>│ Clear-Disk -RemoveData and press Enter. (Note: Replace <disk number> with the number of the hard drive to be formatted, as listed in the results for the first command)
- Type in Y to authorize and proceed with the format of the specified drive. Press Enter.
- To initialize disk partition with GUID Partition Table or GPT scheme, type this command: "Initialize-Disk -Number<disk number>" (Note: replace <disk number> with the corresponding disk number for the specific drive). Press Enter.
- To make a new partition with NFTS, type on the next command line: New-Partition -Disk Number <disk number> -UseMaximumSize │Format-Volume -FileSystem NFTS -NewFIleSystemLabel drive. Change <disk number> to the specific drive's disk number, and change the drive label to the title you prefer.
- To allot a specific drive letter, type command Get-Parition -DiskNumber <disk number> │Set-Partition -NewDriveLetter <new drive letter>. Press Enter.
Note! if you see the "Set-Partition: requested access path already in use", change to another drive letter.
- Check-in File Explorer for the newly created hard drive.
Words in The End
Keeping a drive clean and free of malware and misbehaving codes is easy, if you clean your Windows hard disk regularly.
Compared the two helpful methods above, format your hard disk through Windows 10 Disk Management will be more efficient.
And if you forget a copy of data backup and mistakenly erase your precious files, you can turn to Wondershare Recoverit for help. Recoverit is the most popular data recovery software in the world, with over five million globale users.
you can have a quick download to regain your formatted hard drive.
What's Wrong with Drive
- Recover Your Drive
- Fix Your Drive
- Format/Wipe Drive
- Know Your Drive