Ntoskrnl.exe is a fundamental constituent of Windows that locates under C:\Windows\system32 or C:\WinntSystem32. Just as the name indicated, it's the Windows NT kernel file that contains the Windows kernel, the memory manager, the executive, and the scheduler, and other Windows components. Ntoskrnl.exe Missing or corrupt will cause the Windows boot-up failure, and you could not run your Windows system.
This scenario is familiar - your work is done and when you want to save it, a black or blue screen suddenly appears. You have to restart the computer, but you got a Ntoskrnl.exe error this time, like missing or corrupt.
Other similar Ntoskrnl.exe error messages include:
NTOSKRNL.EXE not found.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
What you need: Windows Vista or Windows 7 disk
1. Insert your Windows Vista or Windows 7 disk into the DVD player and restart the computer.
2. You'll see the boxes of Language, Time and Currency and Keyboard in the next screen.
3. There are two options on the lower left side. One is "Repair your computer", and the other one is "What to know before installing Windows".
4. Click on the first one: "Repair your computer".
5. Windows will then try to find the installation directory for Vista or Windows 7, depending on what you have.
6. Next up is a screen with a box called Recovery Options. Click the first option, Startup Repair.
You'll see a Startup Repair box with the message "Startup Repair is checking your system for problems…".
7. When it's done, it will prompt you to reboot. If there is more than one problem it may reboot again to continue repairing.
8. At this time, you can plug out the DVD, restart your computer and everything should be working normally.
Ntoskrnl.exe Error will result in data loss from your hard drive, with the wrong operations will cause hard drive formatted and inaccessible data. Under these circumstances, you will need a powerful data recovery software to retrieve your lost data.