Word files can sometimes encounter errors. In such a scenario the software issues error messages which tell the users that something is wrong with their word file. "File cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents" is one such error message. It indicates that the contents of the word file have developed some issues which are stopping the software from opening it. The problem causing contents of the word file can range from tables, images, headers, footers, or hyperlinks that had been a part of the word file. Removing these contents might solve the issue and get the word file opened. However, it isn't that simple and most of the time doesn't work too.
What Reasons Cause This Error to Occur?
The "problems with content" error message is rarely displayed by MS Word. It is not that commonly seen by users of the software. So, if you are facing this error message then there is a strong possibility that it is being caused by a corruption of the word file. The following are some of the reasons that can cause word files to get corrupted and lead to this error.
- Macro Viruses: Macro viruses are one of the biggest causes of Word file corruption. They target the word files and damage the content present in them. These damaged contents then cause the software to generate this error message when you try to open the word file.
- MS Word Crashes: MS Word is prone to crashes if it hasn't be updated in a while. The software tends developing issues over time. If they are not fixed in a timely fashion, it soon starts affecting the word files that are opened using it.
- Formation of Bad Sectors on Local Hard Disk: Hard disks have been known to develop bad sectors if they are not formatted regularly. These bad sectors are particularly damaging to word files. They can corrupt the word files if any of them are saved on these bad sectors.
- Improper System Shutdown: Issuance of the "problems with content" error is usually caused due to the corruption of word files. A word file can get corrupted if it was running when the system was improperly shutdown.
Part 1: How to Fix Word File Problems with Content Error
1. The Best Word File Repair Tool
Word files that have encountered problems with their contents can be quite difficult to repair. None of the traditional methods of repair can be used for restoring their content. Only a good word file repair tool can be used to fix word file problems with a content error. Sadly, there are a few such tools available on the internet that can perform this task. Even those word file repair tools that can fix word file problems with content errors sometimes fail to deliver on their promises. All hope is not lost, though. Stellar Phoenix Word Repair is a Word file repair tool that has shown the capability to fix error messages of all types both safely and efficiently.
- Word Repair Tool can safely repair corrupted doc, Docx files while preserving the original style and formatting of the document.
- It has a search function that helps you quickly locate your files even if you don't know their exact location.
- After you have selected and eventually scanned a document, you can preview it in three different modes.
- Word Repair is a Word document repair tool designed to fix almost all the word documents corruption errors.
- You can choose between three different recovery modes: "Simple Repair", "Advanced Repair" and "Raw Recovery". One of these recovery methods will surely help you repair corrupted Word files.
- Repairs corrupt MS Word file created in MS Word 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2000
- Supports Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, 2003, XP, 2000, and NT
2. Fix Word File Problems with Content Error
The following is a guide with step-by-step instructions that are devised to help novice users to learn how to fix word file problems with content error using Stellar Phoenix Word Repair.
Step 1 Searching your corrupt Word files from local drive.
Step 2 After searching the corrupt files and choose multiple Word files to start the repairing process.
Step 3 Previews the repaired Word file choose from the left side.
Step 4 Saves the repaired Word files at the default location or a new folder.
Some useful tips:
Word file corruption can lead to the generation of several error messages. Moreover, it can cause the word files to become unresponsive as well. If you want to avoid this then you must keep the following tips in mind.
- Install a powerful anti-virus on your system. Make sure that you update it too otherwise it won't be able to protect your system against growing virus threats.
Update your version of MS Word as soon as an update for it becomes available. These updates are vital for keeping the software free of bugs and help in improving its performance.
Do remember to format your local hard disk from time to time. This is necessary because it can help in eliminating any bad sectors that have developed on the hard disk.
Video Tutorial on How to Recover an Unsaved/Deleted Word Document?
People Also Ask
How do I Fix Errors in Word?
You can fix the errors in Word document using the Microsoft Word Repair option. This option is one of the menus under the "Open" drop-down list when you open your document. You can also use a Wordpad to open the file.
How do I Repair a Corrupted Docx File?
To repair a corrupted .docx file, try any of the following solutions: make use of the Microsoft tool for repairing Word documents, use the Draft Mode in opening the document, rebuild the corrupted file header, run the CHKDSK utility.
How do Fix Encoding in Word?
Fix the issue of encoding in Word by changing the encoding system itself. Open the MS Word document; choose to convert the files from "Encoded text". Now encode correctly from the dialog box for the encoding selection. Save the changes made and ensure that the text is saved as a readable plain text file.
Recover & Repair Files
- Recover Document Files
- Repair Document Files
- Recover & Repair More
- Clear & Delete File