Accidentally deleted or lost an important ODS file?
No worries. Wondershare Recoverit can get back your lost document files within 3 steps. The ultimate and professional data recovery software is totally reliable and 100% safe.
If you are curious about ODS files, then don’t worry; in this article, we will answer all of your questions about ODS files. Before this you need to learn about a term called "Spreadsheet". Actually, Spreadsheets are computer documents that store data in the form of tables. There are many online and offline software for making spreadsheets, such as Google Docs, Apache OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, WPS Office, etc.
In this article
What is an ODS File?
ODS is an abbreviation of OpenDocument Spreadsheet developed by Calc. This is a file format for storing data in the form of rows and columns, just like Microsoft Excel’s XLSX file. But the open-source software that is used to create, edit, and open these files is named ApacheOpen Office Suite. The extension of the ODS Spreadsheet is ".ods."
1. Uses of ODS Files
Since the ODS files store data in tabular form, so there are many uses of these files in almost every field related to the computer, engineering data sciences, etc.
- Making Graphs and Charts
When you are busy, it is very difficult to read all of the reports to evaluate the success rate of your company or institute. ODS files are used for making graphs and charts that represent overall success and failures with respect to time. This not only saves your time but also helps you forecast and determine better strategies for the future.
- Storing and Sorting Large Amounts of Data
Almost all the companies and organizations store data about their employees and disciples. The sorting is a process of arranging data in ascending or descending order. The ODS files can sort data alphabetically in seconds. If the data is not stored in the sorted form, then there is no problem as you can use the "Search bar" for searching for certain data.
- Creating and Calculating Budgets
Almost all organizations and companies make a budget based on their revenue. ODS files are used for making and calculating budgets so it can be determined how much money to spend in the upcoming years.
- Making Time Tables
Educational institutes and company offices make timetables using ODS file formats. These timetables are then placed on the notice boards for their students and employees.
2. Features of ODS Files
- Tabular Form
ODS files are in tabular form, so you can easily maintain plenty of records. Columns give you the attributes of the entities, while rows provide you with the details about those attributes. Simply, each intersection or cell has some property or detail about the person, place, or thing stored in the spreadsheet.
- Conversion into Other File Formats
Sometimes it is essential to convert one file type into another so it can be opened in other application software. ODS file format can be converted into XLSX, PDF, and other file formats for different purposes.
- Formulas and Functions
The ODS files allow you to apply different mathematical and statistical formulas and functions to certain numeric values present in the cells.
- Custom Formatting
You can format the text in an ODS file as you want. You can also change the font size, family, and interface or make the font bold or italic. Custom formatting also allows you to change the background color of particular cells, rows, or columns.
3. Advantages and Disadvantages of ODS Files
The ODS file stores data in the form of tables that are easy to maintain and edit.
ODS files allow you to store large amounts of data in a single file.
These files can sort the saved data into ascending and descending order.
ODS files can be easily converted into other file formats.
Finding details about certain entities is very easy when using these spreadsheet files.
You can perform mathematical and statistical calculations on the data stored in ODS file format.
Human errors can lead to wrong results or attributes about the entities.
Calculations on huge amounts of data may take time.
How to Open an ODS File?
There are few applications for opening OpenDocument Spreadsheet files, such as ApacheOpen Office Suite and Microsoft Office.
1. Open OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ODS File) on Windows
- For opening ODS files, you need "ApacheOpen Office Suite" or "Microsoft Office" to be installed on your PC first because other applications are not able to open this file format.
- After installing the software, right-click on the ODS file you want to open and select the "Open with" option from the menu.
- A list of applications will appear where you want to select "ApacheOpen Office Suite" and press the "OK" button.
2. Open OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ODS File) on Mac
- To open ODS files on Mac computer, you need to install "ApacheOpen Office Suite" or "Microsoft Office" first.
- After that, open the application and select "File > Open".
- Navigate to the path where your ODS file is stored, select it, and press the "Open" button.
- A dialogue box will appear where you will select "Allow", and your file will be opened.
3. Not Opening ODS Files?
If you have a problem opening the ODS file, you should try these methods:
- Newly installed applications may not be able to find the files with .ods format. Simply restart your computer so your operating system can help the application find it.
- Give permission to the applications for opening the ODS files as well.
- You might be selecting some other file format instead of the .ods file. Copy the path where your ODS file is stored on the SSD and paste it into the file opening dialog box so you can find your ODS files.
How to Create and Edit an ODS File?
Creating and editing OpenDocument Spreadsheets is very easy, especially when using the latest operating systems. For example, you can create an ODS file with Google Sheets, and use the ApacheOpen Office Suite to edit or change the data in OpenDocument Spreadsheets
Create OpenDocument File
- Open your web browser and search "Google Apps.
- Choose "Sheets" as all of the Apps are shown.
- Click "Blank" so you can create an ODS file from scratch.
- Enter your data in the spreadsheet.
- Rename the ODS file according to your data.
- Open the "File" menu and select "Download > OpenDocument (.ods)"
- Congratulations! You’ve successfully created an ODS file.
Simple Way to Edit an ODS File
- For editing ODS Files you need to install ApacheOpen Office Suite first because other applications are not able to edit this file format.
- After installing the software, right click on the ODS file you want to edit and select the "Open with" option from the menu.
- A list of applications will appear where you need to select ApacheOpen Office Suite. Your file will be opened in no time.
How to Convert an ODS File to XLSX?
Conversion changes the file format so you can open the ODS file in the applications that are latest and easily available. The latest format of spreadsheet is Excel XLSX, and there are many online methods of converting OpenDocument Spreadsheet to XLSX for free:
For converting the ODS file into XLSX file format, follow these steps:
- Go to the given "link" and press the "Choose File" button.
- A dialog box will appear where you can select the ODS file that you want to convert into XLSX file format.
- After uploading your file, press the "Convert Now" button.
- Click the "Download" button to download the converted file on your computer.
How to Recover Deleted or Lost ODS Files?
The ODS files on your computer may get deleted or lost. No need to worry because we have Wondershare Recoverit for recovering those files. Go to the site, download it, and install it for free. When you open the application, it will automatically discover all internal and external storage devices connected to your computer or laptop.
Wondershare Recoverit - Expert in Recovering Deleted Files with Patented Technology
5,481,435 people have downloaded it.
Recover lost or deleted document files, photos, videos, music, emails from any storage device effectively, safely and completely.
Restore files from all kinds of storage media like emptied recycle bin, USB Drive, SD cards, SSDs, HDDs, Floppy Disks, Pen Drive, etc.
Supports recovering data for sudden deletion, formatting, hard drive corruption, virus attack, and system crash under different situations.
Preview files before you recover them. No payment is required if the files are unrecoverable.
Free version to try and paid version to enjoy more.
Wondershare Recoverit can recover your ODS files from various devices; SSDs, M2s, USB Flash Drives, Memory Cards, etc. Just select the device you want to recover files with .ods format and let the application do the rest for you. You only need to enjoy your coffee and wait for a while.
For Windows 7 or later
For macOS 10.10 or later
This article is a complete guideline that clears your concept about ODS files. It contains the usages, features, merits, and demerits of ODS files. This guideline not only teaches you to create an ODS file, but it also teaches you to edit and open any file with .ods format."
In the end, we have included the free methods of converting ODS files into other file formats. In addition, you are also provided with the link to the free software,"Wondershare Recoverit, which will help you recover your deleted ODS files.
People Also Ask
Is ODS file compatible with Excel?
Yes, .ods file formats are spreadsheet document files, and Excel is developed for creating, editing, and opening these kinds of files.
What kind of document is ODS?
ODS stands for OpenDocument Spreadsheet, and it is an electronic document that stores data in the form of a table. These files are similar to XLSX file formats supported by Excel.
What can open ODS files?
A few applications can open ODS files, such as Microsoft Excel and Apache OpenOffice. Google Docs can also open the files with .ods format once uploaded to the G-Drive first.
How do I convert ODS to XLS?
Many sites allow you to convert your .ods files into .xls format for free online. You can also do this by opening the ODS files in certain applications and saving them with .xls or .xlsx format.